Rib Cook and Hold Questions

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I will be catering an event and was thinking about taking a different approach to save some time the day of the event. I never cook then hold ribs over night. Thought I would see how you guys approach this.

I was thinking about cooking on Wednesday then putting in the fridge and warming on Thursday for service.

I will be cooking.
100+ Racks is Spares
60 pounds of Chicken
Pork Butts a few cases.
Hot Digs
Burgers
Beans

Thanks for your thoughts on the Ribs.

I dont know why, but I feel like ribs in particular have never reheated quite as well for me...meaning there's a more noticeable difference in flavor, texture,and tenderness compared to fresh than with brisket or pork. If I were in your shoes I would cook the big meats in advance and hold or reheat in an appropriate manner and try to cook ribs the day of, since they're a much shorter cook. Maybe I just suck at reheating ribs which is entirely possible but I can vacuum seal and shock chill bags of pulled pork or sliced brisket and reheat that is almost as good as fresh. Close enough that the convenience of cooking in advance is worth the small potential sacrifice in quality. Good luck and post pics of the cook.

I dont know why, but I feel like ribs in particular have never reheated quite as well for me...meaning there's a more noticeable difference in flavor, texture,and tenderness compared to fresh than with brisket or pork. If I were in your shoes I would cook the big meats in advance and hold or reheat in an appropriate manner and try to cook ribs the day of, since they're a much shorter cook. Maybe I just suck at reheating ribs which is entirely possible but I can vacuum seal and shock chill bags of pulled pork or sliced brisket and reheat that is almost as good as fresh. Close enough that the convenience of cooking in advance is worth the small potential sacrifice in quality. Good luck and post pics of the cook.
Thanks!

I usually cook ribs on site but was looking at saving some on site time.
I absolutely do not want to compromise quality for convince but wanted to get your thoughts.

I will take pics and post them when finished.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited:
By all means dont just take my word for it, you may reheat just fine :thumb: I dont cater but I do often cook for small crowds at my home and my golden rule is to never try a brand new cooking method for guests. I've not disappointed anyone since implementation either :thumb:

I appreciate the feedback.
I’ve cooed a lot of big event but was thinking is saving some time on site. Looking forward to hearing the thoughts from others

Never tried the reheat method but have cooked them until they were within 30-45 minutes of being done. Took them off wrapped tightly in foil and held them in a cooler for up to 5 hours and when unwrapped they were just about perfect. I really don't care for reheated ribs as S&S said to me the texture and everything about them change.

Back