Thawing meat on counter?

HuskerMan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How much of a risk do you feel there is? This topic has always intrigued me due to the fact growing up my parents always thawed meat in the sink/on the counter. Heck they still do so. Never once do I remember anyone getting sick from this. I know why risk it and don’t do so myself so really just curious to hear everyone else’s thoughts.

Been doing it for 30+ years and never got sick, pulled out 3lbs hamburger at 6am and made meatloaf to smoke at 3pm yesterday, still here still kicking. :shocked:

Also thaw chicken and not saying it's right but it's never bit me in the arse.

Had food poisoning once while in Germany serving in the Army and never want to go though that again. (canned baby clams) Yikes! :twitch:

I'm guilty, do it all the time for all kinds of meat. In fact I'm going to cook a steak in a little bit that I let thaw on the counter. If you don't see me on anymore it might be why!!

I usually thaw a day or two before I cook. I will put the stuff on the counter for several hours until it starts to condensate, then I move it to the fridge to finish the thaw. This is smaller stuff like ribs, chicken quarters, sausage, etc. I typically don't freeze large cuts of meat unless I got some awesome deal. Even then I slow thaw the big cuts.

I usually put it in the fridge 2 days before I plan to cook. If I need it sooner, I'll thaw in the sink with some cold water. Only beef/pork though, never chicken. I've never suffered any ill effects that I'm aware of.

It's not a concern for most things. Whole cuts of meat are pretty safe because the surface is where the bacteria is and can't travel through muscle tissue. Ground meat is a different matter because bacteria may have been mixed throughout the meat. That said, the "danger zone" is overhyped anyway since you can sterilize food below 160F if you hold it at the correct temperature for long enough.

I do it.
Sometimes I place larger cuts of frozen meat into a cooler with ice and let it thaw slowly. Just depends on what kind of meat it is and the size.

Sometimes I will start it out on the counter and then put it in the refrigerator after it thaws part way.

I do it frequently also. Of course you have to use common sense but never had an issue. I won't live out overnight during summer or something.

Do it with whole beef/pork/lamb cuts, but not ground. I never do it with poultry.

On the counter? Maybe to get the thawing process to started but never for a full thaw.... But sink full of cold water does the trick every time.. As far as being safe? I don't know according to "The Man" its not safe at all... But I have thawed everything in a sink of cold water... Hamburger, whole chickens, thanksgiving turkey, chirstmas hams, pork butts, ribs.. Except the turkeys which I let thaw over night changing water every couple hrs.. I only thaw this way if I'm eating the meal that day..

Best thing about thawing in cold water over hot water, or leaving it out on the counter.. if you decide that's not what your eating, I've thrown the item in the fridge and ate it the next day!

Biggest problem with cold water in a sink... water logging, if you buy ground beef from the store in the foam tray that's plastic wrapped and you just toss those in the freezer.. That's not gonna keep the water out of the burger as it thaws.. Solve that by a ziplock bag. .. Got a vacuum bag that doesn't have a good seal to it? Gonna get water in the bag.

Never got sick from thawing meats in the sink.. will continue to do so until I do and I know for a fact that's why. But so far Its almost a daily thing I'm thawing something out in a container of cold water or the sink

I think all the thaw in the fridge only stuff is for precaution mainly. The one time you undercook by a few degrees and the meat was a little too old and etc etc.. boom! You are sick and think you’re about to die. I use it as a guide and try to thaw correctly in the fridge, but I also use my cooler to thaw meat. Occasionally I start the thawing process in the sink then move it to the fridge but I keep a close eye on it and how long it sits out. But honestly, if the meat temp doesn’t rise above normal fridge temps, And it’s still wrapped in store packaging, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. I see lots of guys who pull meat out of the fridge and let it sit out for 30 mins or so before putting it on the smoker. What about when you’re cleaning meat, it’s sitting out and the temp is rising. When you’re done you put it back in the fridge. Bottom line is, be aware, and be careful, and take precautions to keep your food safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took out a package of breakfast sausage before going to bed. Left it in the sink and getting ready to cook it now.

If I don't come back, it was wrong.

Good to know I'm not the only one who does it.
Just use some common sense and don't let it get warm...
Because the "danger zone" is NOT OVERRATED!

Back