Banquet

Jeffm827i

Full Fledged Farker
I have been asked to do a Banquet with approx 275 adults. They are asking for Pulled pork, chicken, and Sausage for main dish. They also want Mac & Cheese and beans and salad.

My question is how much of each meat should I do since there is a variety?
And how many oz. for each side should I plan on?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Also I was told by a U.S. food salesman that I should count on a loss of 20% on Pork Butt but I hVe read on this site to count on 50%?? So I am a little confused.

Thanks Jeff

More like 50% loss on the pork butt. Regarding the amounts to serve for each. I'll defer to the more informed business owners who cater and do it everyday. But I do know that you'll more than likely get a 50% loss on pork butt rather than 20%.

You can figure somewhere between 40-50% loss on butts. You need to figure how much of each meat and sides you will need so to not run out of food. It's ok to run out of one meat if you have two other selections (in my opinion). Your area will determine how much of which meats. In my area I make sure I don't run out of pork as it is the most popular by far. Sausage links not so much around here so for me I would go 4oz pork, 1pc chicken (leg or thigh) for 66% of guest count and maybe 1 sausage link for 40% of guest count. I would have 4oz of each side per guest. Like I said those would be the numbers for me and they are bumped up a little on the meats as I don't want to be billed as "that caterer who ran out of food"

I am another who says normally around 40% to 50% loss on pork butts. I can't see any way you get to a 20% number. Medium rare pork maybe?

In terms of quantities, I think HBMTN is about right, although I have been seeing at least one experienced caterer our here who does marinated chicken breasts, and kills with them. He cuts them in halves, or thirds. This cuts down on loss and waste, as folks will take a little less of each meat, just to be able to sample all three. Slice sausage is always a slow meat to go, odd to me, as I love sausage.

I would make them decide how much of each they want and then get it in writing.

This is the way we handle these events. A contract where the customer fills in the amounts they want of EACH food item (not just meats). If they ask us for our "professional" opinion we will assist them with some calculations but WE DO NOT state the amounts NEEDED for the event. This has bitten us too many time with shortages/waste.

In the very few exceptions we have made to this rule we ran our servings calculations and added a buffer percent large enough so the we would NOT run out. Then we submitted the total bid amount to them. Yes, it was "pricey" but we are not a Non-Profit organization. It is then simply up to them to retain our services or pass on the bid.

This may sound harsh but unless you are a successful restaurant, or LARGE VOLUME caterer, that can absorb losses you will not be profitable with out set contracts.

With regards to "advising" the client as to quantities I believe HBMTN hit the proverbial nail on the head. Those are very close to what we "suggest". BUT......we have the client determine the final quantities and sign on the dotted line as to such.

Oh, and if anyone can get 80% (20% loss) out of a smoked/Q'd pork butt......CALL ME!!!! I want to copy (steal) your method!!! :mrgreen:

Back