MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Is It Ready Yet?
On the road to being a farker

Default Transporting my Spicewine Medium

Does anyone transport their cooker with a rental trailer. I do not want to buy one, just looking to easily transport my spicewine. Any suggestions?

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Whats the concern?

Ive transported cookers with uhauls many times. just strap it down with a couple ratchet straps and youre off..

when i first started competing, i would rent 6x10 open uhaul trailers for the weekend, then realized after 4 contests, i just paid the same amount in rental fees that a new open trailer would have cost. so if you plan on doing it regularly, buying one will save you money in the long run.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Our beloved moderator Vinny (MillitantSquatter) used to haul his medium Spicewine in a UHaul until he got his own trailer.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Our beloved moderator Vinny (MillitantSquatter) used to haul his medium Spicewine in a UHaul until he got his own trailer.
yes... just remember to get a trailer with a ramp and not a rental truck !!

I remember the look I got showing up to HV Ribfest several years ago in a U-Haul Truck with a 600 lb pit on the back.... and no ramp !!!.getting a few hands to assist was the easy part... but after everyone gathers the hard part was how to take it off !! Weird though... getting it up there didn't seem so awkward.

I also transported using the same u-haul trailer Phil noted above. just strap it down tight and it will be fine. It helps when the weather is good though...

when it rains, a tarp tied over the top doesn't help much once you start going 60 mph on the highway and the wind gets underneath..... rips everywhere.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Is It Ready Yet?

Thanks gents for your feedback. My concern with an open type trailer is that I need walls to strap to. Those Spicewine cookers are so heavy. The last BBQ comp I did, I transported in a mini van. Oh the looks I received trying to get the cooker out. Lol!

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

no prob.

Wow.... I can't even imagine how you got it out of a mini-van !!!!!

If you have good straps ( a few of them) and know how to secure properly, it is a non-issue. As Phil noted above, he carted his Klose on open trailer for a while.. In a three way deal last year, I sold my larger Klose to Phil and Phil sold his smaller Klose to Bandit... Bandit towed his from Long Island to Harrisburg, PA (200 miles) without issue and te Klose pits are even heavier than the Med Spicewine.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
BBQchef33

no problem strapping it to this... 5x10 uhaul. Thsi pit weighs a lot more than a medium spicewine.

just bring some moving blankets to protect the finish on the spicewine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1073.JPG (94.0 KB, 355 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
no problem strapping it to this... 5x10 uhaul. Thsi pit weighs a lot more than a medium spicewine.
Is that a Jambo?
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Make sure you have the 4x8 plywood that Poobah posted in his picture. I transported my pit in a UHaul trailer before it was trailer mounted once, and it shredded the wheels. Had to replace them. Also, make sure you know what you are getting. The trailer I had wasn't the one with the ramp, and so I had to make due with my own ramp. It was a disaster. Not sure what the BYC in the picture weights, but my pit was around 1,400 lbs. I didn't have a problem with the the trailer supporting it, just getting it off and on with a come-along that scared the crap outta me. YMMV.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
dreed
Full Fledged Farker

We transported our med spicewine on a 5 x 10 utility trailer. The trailer had no sides just small side rails. We strapped it down in the front, kept it right on the trailer at comps. It is a beast to move around. When rolling it we have dropped it off the trailer a number of times, and no damage. It is certainly a beast.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

just bring some moving blankets to protect the finish on the spicewine.
I used the same trailer to haul my med SW from MS back to TX. I rolled it to the front and strapped it down. 70mph all the way home.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
Vendinguy
Knows what a fatty is.

What would be wrong with an enclosed uhaul trailer?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hell, we used to transport a 900 lbs Large Spicewine to contests in our 8 x 14 Battle Wagon. I remember the first time we took the Battlewagon out with the Large Spicewine. We forgot to tighten down the cooker and it got loose. We had to replace everything inside the trailer including the 3 bay sink, water heater, prep table shelving and fridge as it destroyed everything. We learned very quickly not to forget to tighten her down.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Is that a Jambo?

very funny.

it does look a little like yours though, but my rust is brighter and more vibrant.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
LoneStar Smoke Rangers

I would definetly get an enclosed trailer with customized tiedowns, ramp, and a winch. Too big of an investment to let role around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spicewine 1.jpg (29.3 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Spicewine 2.jpg (32.1 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg Spicewine 3.jpg (28.3 KB, 245 views)
LoneStar Smoke Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote