14lb Packer and 6lb Flat on Pit Barrel Cooker

BFairchild

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Brogan
Good morning Brethren! First time poster. I planned on cooking a big packer on my PBC for Father's Day and when I invited my dad he said he had a brisket he could give me. He brought it over and it was only a 6lb flat so I bought a 14lb packer to go with it it because my wife's family is also coming over along with a couple other family members.

My question is how much later should I put on the flat so they will finish pretty close to the same time cooking at about 275-290? I need to try and wrap them at the same time because I like to hang my briskets horizontally and that won't work with one hanging and one on the grate. I'm not even totally sure how I'm going to fit both on the grate, but I'll figure that out later.

Thanks for any help you can offer and happy early Father's Day!

I’d give the packer a good 3-4hr head start. Remember you can always pull one early and you can rest it several hours in a cooler. My advice is give yourself a few extra hours since you are expecting a crowd. You can easily rest in cooler 4+ hours and it still be piping hot for dinner.

Thanks! That's good advice. The packer is the main star so I'll just have to work the flat around it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I usually wrap when it looks good so as long as they're relatively close to being ready to wrap, I'll just wrap the flat when the packer is ready.

I always wrap when looks right which for my cooker (Primo) is usually just past stall. Packers for me cook in 12-14hrs but I go slow (225-250). I like a 2 hr rest minimum. Good luck.

Back