Cast Iron: The bane of my culinary existence

Just cheat at the beginning

When I bought my first CI pan (Field Co.), I followed the instructions to season after every cook using their oil (Organic sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, and beeswax). I basically rubbed it on, wiped off with paper towel, then heated pan on top of stove until I saw smoke. Shut off and let cool down. But during the early stages of seasoning, every time I tried to fry eggs, they stuck like super glue! Then I used PAM spray-on cooking oil (this is the cheating part) and the eggs just slipped off - no problem. When I wasn't frying eggs, I'd use Crisco. I mainly stuck (no pun intended) with cooking scrambled eggs, because if they did stick, no problem - not like I was going to break the yoke. After each cook, I'd just heat the pan up with the remaining Crisco until it started to smoke, then turn off stove and wipe it down. After a while, I noticed the scrambled eggs started sliding around - this is when I knew I could fry my favorite - over medium eggs! The pan finally reached a point where eggs just slipped off when using Crisco. After a few more months of cooking went by, then vegetable oil worked! The pan was so nice that my nephew's wife said she loved it, so I gave it to her and started over with another CI pan. Same thing, I used PAM for my over medium eggs, and Crisco for everything else until it go slippery - then PAM went back to the pantry. I love cooking with CI because I can't brown my eggs in a Teflon pan like I can with CI.

Attachments

• IMG_8917.jpg
    IMG_8917.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 230
When I bought my first CI pan (Field Co.), I followed the instructions to season after every cook using their oil (Organic sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, and beeswax). I basically rubbed it on, wiped off with paper towel, then heated pan on top of stove until I saw smoke. Shut off and let cool down. But during the early stages of seasoning, every time I tried to fry eggs, they stuck like super glue! Then I used PAM spray-on cooking oil (this is the cheating part) and the eggs just slipped off - no problem. When I wasn't frying eggs, I'd use Crisco. I mainly stuck (no pun intended) with cooking scrambled eggs, because if they did stick, no problem - not like I was going to break the yoke. After each cook, I'd just heat the pan up with the remaining Crisco until it started to smoke, then turn off stove and wipe it down. After a while, I noticed the scrambled eggs started sliding around - this is when I knew I could fry my favorite - over medium eggs! The pan finally reached a point where eggs just slipped off when using Crisco. After a few more months of cooking went by, then vegetable oil worked! The pan was so nice that my nephew's wife said she loved it, so I gave it to her and started over with another CI pan. Same thing, I used PAM for my over medium eggs, and Crisco for everything else until it go slippery - then PAM went back to the pantry. I love cooking with CI because I can't brown my eggs in a Teflon pan like I can with CI.

This is basically it in a nutshell. Over time, if you care for it properly and it is not hard to do, it will eventually become non stick. It helps to start with a nice pan like a Field Co. as they are slick and will season quicker than a porous Lodge pan. The Lodge will work, just takes longer to get there. I am partial to old Griswold pans myself. Very smooth and light weight for cast iron.

The eggs in JCBII post is why people fall in love with cast iron. Sure, there are modern non stick pans that work well, but nothing browns eggs or meat like a good cast iron pan will.

I have a bunch of cast that works well, as for upkeep, a thin layer of oil or spray pam in a hot pan then wiped "clean"

BUT,... I don't use them much anymore, too darn heavy!

I switched to a carbon steel pan,(Paderno), lighter, seasons like cast, about as unstick as you'll get and no worries cleaning up. A little water brought to a boil and it's clean, soap doesn't bother it either....and it can go into the oven, and...my wife can use it!..lol

Last edited:
Best way to season CI is good ole skillet corn bread. Usually one batch will do wonders....but the CB is so good...go ahead and do two batches....two days in a row!

Trust me works better than all other methods and exotic oils. (lard is as exotic as I would use)

There are so many ways to season a ci skillet, so many oils so many heat methods, chemical and electrical. Before I would change anything I’d look for a vintage (won’t say made in USA but are) Wagner Ware Sydney O or Griswold size 6 up to size 9. There are other brands but these were mostly what I saw when I actively was building my collection. When you see these vintage pieces look for sits flat (won’t spin) cracks, warps etc. I don’t think I have ever been to an antique store that didn’t have Wagner Sidney O/or Griswold skillets for sale. They’re not rare, they made millions of them.

ATTST- you’ll recognize the polished nature and lighter weight of the vintage skillet. Clean it up (I always did a lead test from Home Depot) do your initial seasons and start cooking.
The more you cook the better they get. I have several Lodge pieces and they are a great piece of cookware, however I prefer maintaining the shine and lighter weight of the vintage stuff. I was gifted a book Cast iron For Dummies as a stocking stuffer. I’ve already regifted the book but if it’s at your local library there are some pretty good tips on Cast iron

Wow. Lots of feelings on cast iron here. Honestly, I’ve had one of those “new” Lodge pans that everyone hates and says “isn’t like they used to make” for the last 15-20 and no real problems. Keep it simple; no flaxseed, multiple days, etc…

Grind/sand a used pan down to a smooth cooking surface. Wipe the pan with plain old canola oil and stick upside down in a hot oven or grill for an hour. It doesn’t take much oil, actually less than most people think-the upside down position lets excess oil drip away instead of pooling into a thick sticky mess. For care, hit it with kosher salt and a paper towel while the pan is still hot/warm. If it got cold and there’s stubborn stuff stuck, wash it in warm water. I use one of those chain mail things but today’s soap will work too. If my pan takes a dip in the water, I’ll do a quick wipe in oil and season.

Y’all thinking it over too much.

We use cast iron daily, here’s my simple tips.

1. Start with clean pan
2. Heat pan on medium heat until droplets of water sizzles
3. Add THIN coating of oil. Any vegetable oil will work (except olive oil, avoid it). Flax seed oil is a waste
4. Continue heating pan on med heat until coating of oil is smoking
5. Turn off heat
6. Wipe with lint free rag when it cools

When you use pan, clean while hot (water will help deglaze hot pan). After cleaning, go to step 3-6

Tip: if you clean while still hot, pan will be hot enough to layer a coat of oil on it and you can skip steps 4 & 5

Also, deep frying does wonders for the surface.
Mine is like glass after deep frying.

I like cast iron too, but I am one who never cleans things right after cooking. Therefore it is a bit tougher for me to get clean. For Christmas I got my first enamel covered dutch oven...and wow! Now that is easy clean up, wouldn't be a bad idea to check in. And mine is just a cheap lodge enamel covered dutch oven.

I'm in the keep it simple camp too. When done cooking use the remaining oil in the pan add some coarse salt and a quick scrub with a bunched up paper towel does the trick. If it's already cooled, warm back up again before scrubbing. I have used soap and water on occasion without any problems. Just remember to dry and rub with an oiled paper towel and wipe off any excess before putting away.

I have an old cast iron skillet that my mom got from her mom. It is very well seasoned with a surface like glass. When I fry eggs they slide right out of the pan. I use a little butter, crack the eggs into the hot skillet and don't fark with them til they start to slide around when you tilt the pan. They will stick if you try to slide a spatula under them before they are ready.

Cleanup is easy. Just wipe it clean and rub it down with a lightly oiled paper towel before storing it.

Teach on, please. Been trying for years and never get it right.

Put it in a self cleaning oven,upside down.Set the oven for self clean and do not open until the oven is completely cool.Rinse out in scalding hot water with a brush or chain mail to clean it.Dry completely.Use a very,very light coating of lubricant of your choice,place in cold oven upside down,turn oven to 350 for 1 hour after it has came to temp,let oven completely cool before removing.Repeat step 2.Cook some bacon in it,wipe it out and lightly coat it in lubricant while it is still warm,let cool.Repeat step 2 and 3 until desired finish.

Last edited:
The big issue I’ve had is the post-cook cleaning. Stuff sticks like crazy and I end up having to scrub the chit out of it, which seems to ruin whatever seasoning was on there. It’s like a chicken and egg problem. I can’t get stuff to not stick unless it’s properly seasoned but I can’t get it properly seasoned because stuff sticks all the time. It’s this Catch-22 that drives me nuts with cast iron.

Back