MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Well I will be making a hanging grate for my mini pretty soon. I just prefer to have the lid in place as I know I could knock those re-bar rods right off at the worst moment. My first UDS grate I found using the angle metal upside down like V, allows me to place and remove the hooks without being able to knock the hooks off while trying to grab the hooks with a handle. I allowed a lot of room to get large pieces of ribs/roasts etc on both sides of each "rod" so to speak. My second grate I made ( still have to try it for bacon) mostly for hanging lots of strips of bacon over the rods. I hung chops on this grate last weekend, just didn't get any photos. Any questions, just ask.

Good looking food but are you sure it tastes ok without having horsey handles? LOL I love the setups Eb!

I'm gonna keep testing with using the rebar on top for some cooks because i'm starting to like the way the exhaust spreads out evenly and the convection it creates.

I'm also thinking about clips to hold the bars in place from moving or notching the rebar....although so far I haven't come close to knocking them off. I'll post what i come up with.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #17
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I bought some cheap 7 inch tent stakes at wallymart for .54/ea. They won't rust, have a pointed end, with a bit of tweaking they turn into some great hooks! Went back to get more, but they have been sold out for a week now. I'll post a photo later when I get some time.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #18
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I don't see any meat spinning, I was expecting something else I guess, like the wound up string thing off a tripod.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #19
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbossJB View Post
I don't see any meat spinning, I was expecting something else I guess, like the wound up string thing off a tripod.
That was classic

There will be some spinning meat on here for sure...string spinning sure as heck counts!

Old 07-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #20
ebijack
Babbling Farker

That string cook was way cool.
Keith will get some more photos added, in a few he does have his rotisserie along with hanging stuff in the same photo.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #21
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Good looking food but are you sure it tastes ok without having horsey handles? LOL I love the setups Eb!

I'm gonna keep testing with using the rebar on top for some cooks because i'm starting to like the way the exhaust spreads out evenly and the convection it creates.

I'm also thinking about clips to hold the bars in place from moving or notching the rebar....although so far I haven't come close to knocking them off. I'll post what i come up with.
Just to be certain, you and PaSmoker are talking about laying the rebar over the top of the open cooker and then laying the lid on top of the rebar--not cooking without the lid? (Of course the lid isn't there in most of your photos, but I had assumed that was just so we could see the inside.)

...And you're saying that the gap between the top of the smoker body and the lid can serve as both intake and vent, creating a beneficial convection?
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
That was classic

There will be some spinning meat on here for sure...string spinning sure as heck counts!

Cool! I really want to try that one day.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #23
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
...And you're saying that the gap between the top of the smoker body and the lid can serve as both intake and vent, creating a beneficial convection?
Yes the lid is on except in the rotisserie drum pics.

What I've seen so far is that the gap does serve as intake and exhaust once the fire is up and running good.

The other day when i cooked the hanging bone in butt I didn't use any bottom intake air for the first 3 hours but i did open the intakes to stoke the initial fire. Started with a way full loaded basket and with over a half partial lit chimney.

Yesterday when i did the halved chicken I didn't have as much charcoal in the basket and didn't light as much and i needed some bottom intake air.

So basically use the intake air if you need to but you won't need as much from what i'm seeing. It seems like one of the cleanest burns I've gotten doing it this way though.

Last edited by Fwismoker; 07-15-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #24
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Here are some pics as you know I'm an avid fan of letting my meat hang. It always cooks nice and uniform along with having amazing flavor and moisture.

Some pork belly, wangs

Chicken

Brisket

Moist beyond compare

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #25
ssv3

Love the pork chops hung. Def have to give it a try. Thanks Ebijack!

Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 07-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #26
Fwismoker

[QUOTE=ssv3;3302122]Here are some pics as you know I'm an avid fan of letting my meat hang. It always cooks nice and uniform along with having amazing flavor and moisture.

The setup with the real wood underneath and being able to grate cook and hang is off the hook...love it. Those sausage hangers sure come in handy!

Not that I wasn't sold on it before but I'm more sold on the LSG vertal offset with warmer more than ever.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #27
ssv3

[quote=Fwismoker;3302141]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Here are some pics as you know I'm an avid fan of letting my meat hang. It always cooks nice and uniform along with having amazing flavor and moisture.

The setup with the real wood underneath and being able to grate cook and hang is off the hook...love it. Those sausage hangers sure come in handy!

Not that I wasn't sold on it before but I'm more sold on the LSG vertal offset with warmer more than ever.
Thanks Keith! I had Chris add the hangers in the oven since I envisioned what I was going to do.

I'm in talks with my brother trying to see if somehow I can fabricate a roti in the oven. He knows a fabricator or two that may be able to help. We'll see.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 07-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #28
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I am just not convinced on what the difference between hanging the meat or setting it on a rack could be. Don't get me wrong, the pictures are gorgeous, but who is to say it wouldn't be as good on a rack?

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #29
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I am just not convinced on what the difference between hanging the meat or setting it on a rack could be. Don't get me wrong, the pictures are gorgeous, but who is to say it wouldn't be as good on a rack?
Terry I actually think rack/grate can be better sometimes but it depends on what i'm cooking as to which way I want to go. Sometimes I want more of a maillard reaction from grate cooking.

The benefits to me I'll just use examples from my last cooks. The butt I don't think I could have done better/faster without foiling at the high temps i cooked at, It cooked very even also. Grate cooking i would have left more fat cap on and wouldn't have had as much quality bark as I had with hanging because i didn't need that extra fat cap to serve as a heat shield or extra basting.

Chicken, baked potatoes, corn from yesterday it was nice to cook all of them not having to worry about flipping the baked potato over or turning the corn and everything was done at the same time in the same cooker using very little charcoal. Grate cooking for that meal in one cooker at the same time would have been more tedious and not sure it would have cooked as evenly.

There's cooks where i like to hang something and grate cook others at the same time so it's nice to have that flexibility.

Now back to taste. Chicken for an example, sometimes i'd rather spatchcock and sear for a different flavor but other times rotisserie or hang them....All are good but just different. Some say there is extra basting in hanging and that helps with taste...there can be some truth to that but I still think rotisserie is the only true way to get self basting.

Foods to me haven't been juicier or necessarily taste better but being able to go higher heat and get even cooking has been the biggest advantage....also more cooking space with less charcoal has been a bonus.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #30
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Well for me, the ribs, chuck roast and chops have turned out better than any other smoker/cooker I have owned or used...ever. I still have to experiment with the bird, as I've been doing birds mostly the same way for 30+ yrs and prefer the grate so far, but hanging I didn't not do the higher temp like I do on a grate( I was also doing ribs at the same time. So I will be trying the higher temps hanging.
Here's the tent stake hooks compared to one of my CRS hooks.

Tags
fire pits, hanging without horseshoes, meat hanging, non PBC, PBC, rotisserie, spinning