How do you like to use grillgrates?

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Flat side up or flat side down? Thank you!

Flat side down, because I have a flat top griddle I’m more likely to use if I need a uniformly smooth cooking surface. Yes, not quite the same without charcoal underneath.

I like the way the lines look on certain types of food. Makes grilling fish easy with the slotted spatula.

I use them often on my kettle with rails up. I love them for kettle grilling.

This sounds dangerously close to a brisket debate.:-D

Burgers = flat side up. Griddle action.

Steaks = flat side down. People love the grill marks.

I rarely use them - I have a griddle and I like the kiss of flame - CI grates leave great grill marks

Seems like some grill grates only have a flat side around the edges, and vertical in that circumstance:p

Loved the grill grates however Tossed mine into trash.
The maintenance had me using the flat side most before tossing.
Was easier for me to just cook on the cooker grates

A trait of culinary laziness on my part--My fault definitely not the product.

Last edited:
They're a gimmick. Grill marks are for Applebea's. If you're going to use the flat side (which you should) you're better off using something with more heat retention and durability like a baking steel or cast iron griddle.

I use both sides, but more of the flat side. I have only used them on my RecTeq, but I bought 2 ribeyes yesterday and may use them on my Kettle soon.

I use them flat side up, I don't see an advantage to them though.

Have a full set on the Weber Genesis Gasser. I have 2 panels with rails up and 3 panels with flat side up.

Flat side UP, 80-90% of the time.
I use them more for delicate things like fish and veggies, or a quick sear on something from the SV bath..... Most of my meat goes directly on the grills grates.

I have 4 panels. I have them separated in the middle so I can have two cook zones. I can also turn one with rails up and the other flat side up for different uses.

I use them to cook on because that's all they seem to be good for. I can tell you from 1st hand experience they do not work well as frisbies.

Back