MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #61
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate749 View Post
The PBC comes with a grate also so you could put it on the grate and cook it that way.. Im planning on doing that next weekend.. This weekend consists of 20lbs of pulled pork. Thats if you didn't want to hang it. I'm putting the pork on the grate just on the fact alone i just want to do it that way.
Just for fun sake and cause it's hard to gauge distance from the bars to the grate, could you hang a pork butt and put the grate on as a safety measure?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #62
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't see why you would hang a brisket horizontally, might as well use the rack.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #63
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I can't see why you would hang a brisket horizontally, might as well use the rack.
Cause you could. Why not? Course, if we use the comparison to a chicken halve, it would make more sense to hang the fattier point of the brisket closer to the coals. A bit closer to the heat source for more even cooking than the leaner flat.
If we used the rack on a brisket would the same concept apply as to a chicken, convection, air flow over the meat, etc. I'm curious if we applied the reasoning you gave as to why/how such a nice color can be obtained on ducks and basting in a hanging mode to possibly bark formation: hanging vs. flat.

Bob, would you buy one? Could you see it working for let's say duck?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #64
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I know that we're not comparing the PBC to a UDS, but I'm curious... Do you consider the UDS a grill also? Food cooked in a UDS is also cooked over direct heat.
No. Most drums these days use diffusers and you can dial in your temp for smoking.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #65
Bbq Bubba

Now the million dollar question....

Is somebody going to cook a TT like a brisket in one of these things?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #66
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
No. Most drums these days use diffusers and you can dial in your temp for smoking.
Okay, diffusers on a drum is for another thread, but I don't see many Drum Heads talking about using diffusers on their drums. A few, but I think most still run em without. If you can dial in a temp on any type smoker, what temp would you consider smoking vs. grilling? Could we say smoking is 250-300?
Tell me how I managed to grill all those chuck rolls for over 24 hours? WHOLE no less! I'm jonesing for another chuck roll!

I think the PBC could swing a chuck roll, maybe! All one would need to do is skewer the chuck roll with the rebar!

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-30-2013 at 12:05 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #67
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Now the million dollar question....

Is somebody going to cook a TT like a brisket in one of these things?
Someone will try. Hopefully they are receptive to the opinions of others, but that is ANOTHER topic too.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #68
Nate749
Knows what a fatty is.

I think there would be enough room to hang a butt and have room for the grate but it would be very very close honestly if not even touching.
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #69
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Whats a TT?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #70
BobBrisket

Could you all provide info on the other things like the rubs, hooks, grate, and the hook tool? Functionality, maybe some reviews about the rubs. That hook tool looks so simple and so cool!

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-30-2013 at 01:24 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #71
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Whats a TT?
Tri tip.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #72
landarc

No I wouldn't buy one, but, that is because I have my UDS, which works fine for me. I am sure I could modify my UDS to offer similar performance. But, that is not a negative against the PBC, I just don't see a need.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #73
landarc

I am sure it would work for duck. But, so would my UDS. If I was to build a UDS, I would consider the larger opening. I think it makes sense.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #74
midwestsmokeboy
Full Fledged Farker

You guys Kill me!! The PBC It's just a smaller version with a few differences of a UDS! Why all of this nonsense picking it apart. It's really no different than making a few mods on your UDS. If you have built your UDS and like it who cares. The smaller version of the WSM with the steamer on the small weber nobody made such a big stink out of it....and how it was so much different than a real WSM...everyone thought it was soooo cool... so why the PBC.? I mean Really!. This thread really ought to be sunk in the ground. I am not a pitmaster by any means and don't pretend to be a scientist... but I have been Qing for at least 30 years before I came upon this site. I have gained a lot of tips and insight about great BBQ here but this thread is really grating upon my nerves. Yes I own A PBC. Thank YOU! Hey take a break.
midwestsmokeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #75
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestsmokeboy View Post
You guys Kill me!! The PBC It's just a smaller version with a few differences of a UDS! Why all of this nonsense picking it apart. It's really no different than making a few mods on your UDS. If you have built your UDS and like it who cares. The smaller version of the WSM with the steamer on the small weber nobody made such a big stink out of it....and how it was so much different than a real WSM...everyone thought it was soooo cool... so why the PBC.? I mean Really!. This thread really ought to be sunk in the ground. I am not a pitmaster by any means and don't pretend to be a scientist... but I have been Qing for at least 30 years before I came upon this site. I have gained a lot of tips and insight about great BBQ here but this thread is really grating upon my nerves. Yes I own A PBC. Thank YOU! Hey take a break.
I have no idea what is grating on your nerves about this thread. It's been a civil discussion of the merits of the PBC so far. No one is bashing it, no one is bashing each other. If the thread bothers you, then don''t read it. it's really that simple.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
PBC, pit barrel, pit barrel cooker