BBQ recommendations for Dallas

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm in the Big D for a conference at a downtown hotel.

A friend was recently here and said she had a great steak at Hard Eight BBQ. Setting aside that steak isn't Q, anyone have thoughts on:

1. Hard Eight (whether for Q or steaks)
2. Great places for either a steak or Q (I can't decide what I want!)

I do not live there, but have visited family.

I got to try brisket, ribs, pulled pork, sausage, and a pork chop at Hard Eight. All of them were good.

Hutchins is outside of Dallas a little ways, but I hear that it is very good. Haven't got to try it yet.

I work in downtown Dallas, my recommendations are: BBQ - Terry Black's in Deep Ellum, just East of downtown and for steak - Knife Restaurant a little North.

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum which is part of downtown open lunch or dinner. Superb Brisket and Sausage. Also Slow Bone which is on the North Side off of I-35. Not as well known as Pecan Lodge but they make everything in-house including pickles, sides, etc. Lunch only and get there right at 11:00 am opening for best selection! Oddly enough for a BBQ place they also make outstanding Fried Chicken!

3rd Lockhart in Bishop with a quick follow-up trip to Bishop Cider 1.5 doors down. Try some stuff. You'll leave with at least a growler. Thank me later... it's frickin' delicious.

The pie place about 1.5 blocks away that my wife swears by? Yeah... go hit that place, too. Hate me later. It's OK. Drink a Bishop Cider. Feel better.

No "The" in front of Big D, LOL. Seriously, if you are planning on staying around the downtown area, you can't go wrong with either Pecan Lodge or Lockhart. If you don't mind driving, your options are endless. Getting away from the city and traffic for the best AYCE BBQ ever since it is cut and served from the same line as the per/lb meat (if you're not into all you can eat, no worries, everything is great) is about 30 miles straight north to McKinney and Hutchins.

Back