thanksgiving twist

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello guys. I've smoked a turkey for the last couple of years and love it. This year, we're doing a friendsgiving before thanksgiving and I am looking at doing it with a twist. I don't just want to do just some slight variation of turkey and all the sides but really thinking of mixing it up somehow. I was kinda of thinking of either a thanksgiving style sausage, (turkey, cranberry, apple and maybe stuffing)? Does anyone have any input on a thanksgiving type of sausage? Would I need to add additional fat(pork back, or beef)? I have some experience with bratwurst, but nothing with a cure of any type. Also possibly considering something like a thanksgiving turkey taco. Any ideas? Lets hear them. Thanks in advance!

The picture is from my last round of bratwurst.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same way a couple of years ago when it was just the kids and I for Thanksgiving. Don't need the full spread as there will only be 3 of us.

Got some inspiration from Kenji over at Serious Eats with his Stuffing Waffles.

I used this idea but then took it further to include smoked turkey breast (sliced) on top of garlic mashed potatoes on top of the stuffing waffles covered in smoked turkey gravy made from the drippings. Kind of a mountain of turkey day goodness!

Next time I do it, I'll add some cranberries to the stuffing mixture before waffling.

Here is an idea.

2 ft medium hog casing 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, medium grind
2 lbs turkey (dark, light & skin) 2 tbs Grand Marnier
2 tsp kosher salt 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp dried marjaram 1/4 cup chopped chestnuts, roasted
1 tsp dried sage

1. prep casing
2. grind turkey through fine disk
3. mix in remaining ingredients, except cranberries and chestnuts,
together very well.
4. grind mixture again
5. mix in cranberries and chestnuts
6. stuff the casings, prick sausages as needed,
let flavors meld for 3 hours or more.

I also recommend a book in my library

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Sausage...085DQ1L6,B08HVQB1T7,B08C57H945&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

It has a few turkey sausage recipes, including one for charizo, Thai style, chicken with Chardonnay & apples

Here is an idea.

2 ft medium hog casing 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, medium grind
2 lbs turkey (dark, light & skin) 2 tbs Grand Marnier
2 tsp kosher salt 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp dried marjaram 1/4 cup chopped chestnuts, roasted
1 tsp dried sage

1. prep casing
2. grind turkey through fine disk
3. mix in remaining ingredients, except cranberries and chestnuts,
together very well.
4. grind mixture again
5. mix in cranberries and chestnuts
6. stuff the casings, prick sausages as needed,
let flavors meld for 3 hours or more.

I also recommend a book in my library

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Sausage...085DQ1L6,B08HVQB1T7,B08C57H945&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

It has a few turkey sausage recipes, including one for charizo, Thai style, chicken with Chardonnay & apples

To confirm, you don't cook the turkey before stuffing correct? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
After consulting my nicely printed and bound "notes".....correct, cook after stuffing to 165 internal. If you grind the turkey yourself in a home setting, I would cook the turkey to whatever temp you feel comfortable with poultry. If using ground store bought turkey, I would follow whatever protocol you use in that circumstance. The book seems pretty good, and the newer edition has a digital version for $10.

Personally, I use the recipe as a starting point. Make according to directions, then adjust based on your experience and taste.

I came across a recipe once that involved flattening turkey filets and then rolling sausage stuffing before braising. Think of a reverse fatty or more fittingly a pork roll. It can easily be modified to being smoked instead of braised. Tell us what you decide.

Back