MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

Default Coleslaw - NO or very little Mayo

I'm looking for a good tried and proven recipe for coleslaw which uses no mayo/miracle whip (or very little) A recipe that can be out on a in serving bowel for a couple hours.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Fastball
Full Fledged Farker

The one my wife makes uses cabbage, sugar, vinegar and heavy cream. She likes it (and so does her family), I think it's too wet, but it does have a decent flavor. I think she got it off the internet, so google it and I'm sure you will find it.
Homemade Cabinet Smoker..AKA "The Contraption"...AKA "Mr. Potatohead"
J&R Mfg Combo Broiler w/ Rotisserie
Weber 22.5 kettle
Char-Broil Gasser
Old Beat-up Off-brand Kettle Grill
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Cooter
Knows what a fatty is.

The good looking one (aka, my wife) says...
1 head of cabbage, shredded or 1 bag of shredded cabbage
1/2 cup fine sugar or equivalenamount of artificial sweetener
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup of vinegar, white or apple cider
dash of salt
Pepper to taste

Mix and let sit in fridge for a few hours before serving to wilt cabbage and blend flavors. Adjust all ingredients to taste, if needed. Stir and serve.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

This is a good NC BBQ slaw (red slaw) recipe, it is vinegar based, it will keep damn near forever.

Lexington Style BBQ Slaw (a.k.a. Red Slaw)

1 lb green cabbage
4 tbsp ketchup or BBQ Sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Finely chop or hand grate cabbage. Mix together other ingredients (scaling back seasonings to taste if BBQ sauce is used instead of ketchup), and pour over cabbage. Stir to coat, and chill, covered in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes -- preferably longer to allow flavors to blend.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

There is two to try, any more suggestions or favorites, really need a good pulled pork topper that is able to keep well and won't turn off the pork.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

just so you know the bbq resturant I worked at didn't cool their potato salad and that was mayo based... had a 4 hour shelf life.. and that was when the HD made up ger rid of it, I would assume the same would hold true for a mayo based slaw...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
jeffghs
Found some matches.

One I like is from Ugly Dog Saloon in New Orleans. You can google the recipe, I think it has a little mayo, but also molassas and soy sauce and garlic pepper.
jeffghs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Psyco Realm
On the road to being a farker

Big Mistas coleslaw receipe kicks booty!
for sammies use Marzetti's w/slaw or broco slaw its killer.
Psyco Realm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

NO MAYO! I agree.
One small to medium head cabbage, chopped very fine.
1/2 cup cider vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs oil (Canola or your favorite - Olive oil does leave it's own taste profile though)
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp dried celery
1 tsp celery seed
1 tbs hot sauce.
I've been making this for years.
Note - cabbage only, add other veggies to your own particular taste.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Last edited by deguerre; 11-12-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Steeler-Q
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I saw this on "Cooks Country". After you cut the cabbage, put it in a colander, add a little salt and let it set for about an hour. The water in the cabbage will drain out, leaving it crunchy, not so "wet" after it sits for a while. I think texture is what we like with slaw. Add any flavor to enhance the great pork taste.
Steeler-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

With my family, coleslaw never had a cream or mayo based dressing. When I first asked how to make it, no one could give be precise measurements.

For a small head of cabbage, I'll generally use one small onion and start with a cup of vinegar for the dressing. You just kind of go by the amount of cabbage and by very much by taste.

Wash and core the cabbage. Slice or quarter the onion and chop with cabbage to desired consistency. Thoroughly salt and pepper the chopped cabbage, tossing occasionally, and place in a colander or roll loosely in a clean towel. Place in the fridge for an hour or two to allow the salt to pull excess moisture from the cabbage.

Salting then resting the chopped cabbage is the secret to keeping it crisp, no matter what style of dressing you use.

Place cabbage in serving bowl and drizzle with enough vegetable oil to coat thoroughly, but not dripping with oil.

In a microwave safe container, add a cup of cider vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar. (More if both it's a large head of cabbage) Heat just enough to dissolve the sugar. Take a bit of the cabbage and dip it lightly into the vinegar and taste it. Add sugar or vinegar until you get a taste you like.

Allow vinegar to cool a bit. Pour the vinegar/sugar over and stir. Depending on the amount of cabbage, you may not need all of the vinegar.
Chill thoroughly before serving.

I'm sorry I can't be more precise with measurements.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote