MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Is Alabama White Sauce pretty popular in your area? I have offered it several times at weddings I’ve catered - told people it was typically used on chicken, and most just pass it on by because they are unaware of it here in New England.

I say this because if it’s not popular where you are, you might have a hard time generating sales.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #17
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
Is Alabama White Sauce pretty popular in your area? I have offered it several times at weddings I’ve catered - told people it was typically used on chicken, and most just pass it on by because they are unaware of it here in New England.

I say this because if it’s not popular where you are, you might have a hard time generating sales.
Yes it is. I actually use to run a restaurant and it was a Star seller! I no longer have the restaurant but would like to now market it.
Resesgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #18
Obiguns
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

The white sauce is popular with the people that follow me around to events. Its a all around good sauce. It s fantastic on brisket. I would love to bottle it but I don't know how to do so. Not sure what a hot fill would do to the sauce. Anybody have any insight for that?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #19
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiguns View Post
The white sauce is popular with the people that follow me around to events. Its a all around good sauce. It s fantastic on brisket. I would love to bottle it but I don't know how to do so. Not sure what a hot fill would do to the sauce. Anybody have any insight for that?
@Obiguns, I am running off to my SCORE client appointments this morning but, with respect:

We see clients all the time who have a good idea and become consumed with what I call "infrastructure" before they had spent any time testing their idea by talking to potential customers, advisors who have expertise but may not be potential customers, etc. This is critical. No plan survives first contact with the enemy. Your idea of your target market is untested. The right market may not be restaurants (grocery stores has been suggested) where you have to compete on price (as has also been mentioned). Again, with respect, don't worry about bottling and filling until you have gained extensive knowledge of your potential markets and what you need to do to be successful.

The alternative is to do what I call "rifle shot marketing." This involves keeping a low profile while building infrastructure, the leaping out with a big bang hoping that your introspectively-developed mo0del of your market is correct enough that you can make a business. IOW, hoping you'll get lucky. Rifle shots can work but IMO are not the best strategy. It can even be the best strategy for marketers with truly innovative products and who already have experience in the markets they are planning to enter. But this is not you. Sorry to be blunt. Have to go now.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiguns View Post
I would love to bottle it but I don't know how to do so. Not sure what a hot fill would do to the sauce. Anybody have any insight for that?
Do you know you have to use a hot fill? There are plenty of fillers out there that can fill cold, such as a piston filler. Depends more on the consistency and whether there are chunks. If it's a matter of spoilage, there are products and methods to take care of that, but lots of testing.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #21
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

A lot of BBQ restaurants prefer to make their own as its more cost effective but I have had some success selling to restaurants. Also you need to be able to provide either in gallons or 5 gallon containers.
The non BBQ restaurants tend to use a cheaper priced sauce such as Sweet Baby Rays

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #22
Obiguns
Got Wood.

I already have two sauces that I have used at my vending that have been around for a few years. I have had them tested at Purdue University Food Science program for pH and water activity. Now I'm picking out bottles and my brother is making a design for the labels. I'm taking it slow. I have catering business and couple hundred people requesting my sauce. I will make case at a time and start slow.