MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Anyone cooking just turkey breast this Tday?

I am.I am gonna bite the bullet and spend the Xtra for whole breasts this year.We host a large gathering on Tday. I cooked 6 birds last year and there was not enough left for a decent sammich.I will smoke 6 whole breasts this year and do 2 in the air fryers.I had a lot of legs and wings left last year,which I made Ala King out of.But it was a pain to prep and process all of those birds.I am even thinking of cooking the Wednesday before,cooling,deboning,reheating(wrapped in foil with butter and seasonings) on the smoker Tday morning.What do you folks that cook large numbers of turkeys on Tday do????
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
sudsandswine

Hmm that’s an interesting thought. In our gatherings nobody ever wants to be the person that takes the whole leg, and the tendons make it difficult to portion out...not a lot of meat comes from the thighs either.I was planning to spatchcock a couple birds but maybe there’s something to doing just breasts. Or maybe I’ll buy whole birds and cut out the leg/thigh section and cook for myself on a different day.

Turkeys take a relatively short time to cook, for me I would do it same day...it sounds like you’re planning to fire up the smoker anyway for reheat. I’ve been doing turkeys on the Weber rotisserie the past several years and the results are top notch. I was planning on doing it on the Shirley this year to switch things up.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
Hoss

I will do two in the air fryers(Spicy,Cajun Style),the other 6 will be smoked on the Shirley.I was thinking of precooking just for time sake.We feed at Noon.If I cook the day before,all I have to do is heat and slice.??? I have never had trouble having the birds ready on time,just trying to think ahead.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

I've always just done breasts for as long as I can remember. So much easier than a whole bird.

I would caution against re-heating, though. Breast meat dries out when it is re-heated. A turkey breast only takes a couple of hours at 325, so I always cook the day of. Shoot for 15 - 30 min rest, carve and serve immediately.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I did whole breast a few years ago, and last year my wife was on call for thanksgiving so we bought a honey baked turkey breast and some sides. I like the white meat better myself.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

Anybody have a close guess on how long a whole breast would take at 250-275?

Old 11-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Poultry takes on smoke quickly I would cook at 325-350
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

I haven’t done the breast on turkey but cook them almost exclusively for chicken. I would for turkey as well but my wife likes the better presentation since we are pretty much only doing it on holidays.

In terms of time, on the chickens I haven’t found a lot of difference in cook time vs whole birds of similar size. I’m guessing that would be true of turkey as well

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

This would create more work especially for that many birds, but I plan to buy whole, separate and smoke the breast by itself. I like to season the leg , thighs and wings with a dry brine (my wife likes to have the thighs served with the breast for dark meat people) and sit for 2 or 3 days then smoke really low for soup seasoning. The breast will get SPOG or a brine for 6 or 8 hours and then smoked.

Last edited by jermoQ; 11-12-2019 at 02:10 PM..
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Poultry takes on smoke quickly I would cook at 325-350
+1. If you cook below 325, it will be difficult to get the skin brown and crispy. I actually just use charcoal in the WSM (no wood chunks) when I cook poultry. The charcoal alone makes it plenty smoky for me.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Been doing leg/thighs for a few years. Wife and I prefer the dark cuts. That and a few sides and it's good eatin'

[URL="http://www.tooashamedtoname.com"]www.TooAshamedToName.com[/URL] - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

For the last 5 years that's all I've done is bone-in turkey breast. You'll enjoy them.
This is my first year doing a whole bird. Two actually. 12.5lb each.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischandler71 View Post
I did whole breast a few years ago, and last year my wife was on call for thanksgiving so we bought a honey baked turkey breast and some sides. I like the white meat better myself.
To be honest,my favorite is a turkey sandwich from leftover turkey breast on cheap white bread with plenty of Duke's mayo and heavy salt and pepper the day after.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
To be honest,my favorite is a turkey sandwich from leftover turkey breast on cheap white bread with plenty of Duke's mayo and heavy salt and pepper the day after.
Sounds crazy … it did to me the first time, but add a little Louisiana Hot Sauce to that recipe and wowsa good!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #15
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I've done bone-in breast for the last couple of years. Much easier and I can do multiple ways. I roast one on the weber kettle with no wood and smoke another one. With leftovers, the smoked one is better on sandwiches and the roasted one in better in soup imo.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote