• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Catering in Orange County

Countryhb

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I'm starting to look into catering in SoCal. Does anyone have any insight they can offer, especially geared towards LA/OC, for someone starting off? Are there any good resources I can tap for information about the endless hoops I'm going to need to jump through?

Grillfella might be able to offer some insight or answer some of your questions.

Country - My $.02

City of HB - Business License, insurance requirements
OC Dept of Health - Health certificate, insurance requirements
State of CA - Seller's permit, incorporation (if needed), add'l licenses

There is so much regulation relative to equipment required, food handling regulations, permits and certificates, and "local permits" required to do events and catering, or even acting as a "personal chef".

Big Mista just did some of the research here, and Big Brother Smoke may be able to help as well. Looks like that first win has really got you goin'!!!

There are plenty of hoops. California ain't no joke!

I remember at cRocks last weekend some dude was walking by and asked me if he could buy some of the food I was cooking. At first I was flattered, thinking about the 20 bucks I was gonna charge him then it occurred to me----what if he chokes on some bone or some chit like that?
I'd get sued and have my life ruined for the 20 bucks I was gonna use to buy beer with.
Always thinking ahead, trying to see the big picture...

First pointer, get a truck. $hits hard to deliver on a skateboard. :twisted:

Great topic Country, I have been thinking about a similar thing down the line but have not researched it too much. Does anyone know how much liability insurance is needed and what you could expect a year to pay in premiums?

Great topic Country, I have been thinking about a similar thing down the line but have not researched it too much. Does e basedanyone know how much liability insurance is needed and what you could expect a year to pay in premiums?

For out here in Cali I would suggest 1 million dollars minimally and your insurance will be based on how much business is projected. I am at $454 annually, but it will go up as I continue to grow. The more gigs the more potential risk thus higher premiums. Does this farking make sense:biggrin:

Great topic Country, I have been thinking about a similar thing down the line but have not researched it too much. Does anyone know how much liability insurance is needed and what you could expect a year to pay in premiums?

You need about a 1MM miniunm. 5MM would be better! Mil should run about $1100.

Back