MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan
Default The Best BBQ YouTube Video Never Made

There is one key element of BBQ I have never yet seen made on any BBQ channel. And it's really important! I'm actually a bit flummoxed at the universal oversight of this core piece of the genuine southern BBQ puzzle. I've suggested it in the comments. I've mused aloud to friends. And nothing.

So I'm about to give away some serious YouTube currency here. I know, I know. I should hold this recipe idea back and make the video myself. Problem is, I hate making videos for YouTube. Way too much effort and expense if you do it right. So give it away I will. It's sure to take someone's YouTube channel to the next level. It will be a truly historic moment. Genereations of BBQers will look back on this post (or not) and think, "I thought we'd covered all the major BBQ elements ad nauseum on YouTube. Who would've thought there was one thing that NOBODY had thought to cover??? Good think ole AKMIMNAK was around to point it out and save the day! What a gem he is! Three cheers for the 'NAK!!!"

I'm sure by now you're wondering, "What medication is this guy on? And when will he just get to the point?" Fine. I'll spill the beans (or grounds......or leaves, rather). Was just trying to have a little fun. Here's my big BBQ mystery....

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE EVER SHARE A SOUTHERN STYLE SWEET TEA RECIPE ON BBQ YOUTUBE CHANNELS???????

They've made everything else in tarnation a hundred times over!!! No one cares to see you make baby back ribs a fourteenth different time, and (worse) to lie about the fact that they aren't falling off the bone when we can clearly see them falling off the bone!!! C'mon, fellas. Sweet tea is THE southern BBQ drink (move over, beer). It is the official beverage of the Old South (sit down, beer). So why oh why doesn't anyone ever think to throw a sweet tea vid at us? I say justice for the bags! Give the people TEA! And if you don't like the stuff (WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?) at least acknowledge the fact that TEA comprises three-quarters of the word TEAM. And another three quarters of the word MEAT. Now that oughtta be reason enough to resurrect Southern Style Sweet Tea, and save your BBQ channel. Let's get er going, boys. I'll lead:

WYNELL'S SOUTHERN STYLE SWEET TEA

-Bring 1.5 quarts of water NEARLY to a bole with as many tea bags as you like in the water
-Cut the heat off JUST BEFORE it boils (you can burn tea bags and it ain't tasty)
-Pour your freshly made tea base off into a gallon pitcher
-Refill your pot with water and using the same tea bags, repeat the bole
-While you're waitin on the second run to bole, mix 2 cups white sugar into your first run that's sittin in the pitcher
-When your second run is nearly boled, cut the heat off and pour that base into your pitcher as well
-Stir again making sure all sugar is totally dissolved
-Fill the rest of your gallon pitcher with cold tap water
-Use ice cubes to enjoy immediately, or refrigerate and enjoy later
-Add lemon juice to taste

AKMIMNAK'S VARIATION
-Boil 1.5 quarts of water with no tea bags (so you don't have to watch it like a hawk and cut it off before it burns your tea)
-Cut the heat off and add one gallon size tea bag
-I really hate to say this, but I actually think Lipton is better than Luzianne. I really hate that. But I tried Luzianne for two years and finally switched back. I wanted Luzianne to win this fight. But I just couldn't get consistent flavor.
-Let steep at least 30 min, an hour is better
-Pour base into gallon pitcher
-Stir in 1 and 1/3 cups white sugar (I've experimented with some brown sugar and had mixed results)
-Stir really good. Your base is not as hot in this recipe and you want ALL the sugar dissolved before any cold water gets mixed in.
-With tea bag still in pot, refill pot with cold tap water (this will siphon just a pinch more flavor out of the bag)
-Dump that into pitcher; repeat until pitcher is full
-Since you used cold water instead of re-bolin, your tea will be nearly cold enough to drink right away without ice cubes; I point this out for two reasons:

--If you make it Wynell's way and want to drink it immediately, it requires ice cubes in hot tea. This immediately causes significant melting and dilution, severely impacting your flavor. If you're going to do it Wynell's way, you need to plan ahead for several hours of refrigerator time.
--My way requires very little waiting because using ice cubes in my recipe, which is not as hot, results in significantly less melting and dilution, and better flavor. OR, if you choose to refrigerate, it gets cold way faster than Wynell's.

-I rarely add lemon to mine, but occasionally I like the changeup.

Share your recipe!

(Remarkably, there is not even a preexisting tag on this blog for "sweet tea" or even "tea"!!!! We're doing some pioneering here, folks. How often do you get to say that in the BBQ world anymore??? All I ask is that you remember me when you're standing on the podium showing off the trophy. Oh, and when you're cashing the check. )

And if you disagree with me, or hated this post, make sure you respond courteously. There's no reason to get all tea'd off.

[See what I did there?]

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #2
stangman327
Full Fledged Farker

I’ve found that adding a pinch of salt or baking soda enhances the flavor of iced tea as well.

M1
Hunsaker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker
Weber Genesis II LX S-340 Gas Grill w/iGrill probes
Lodge Cast iron sportsman's grill
Masterbuilt electric digital smoker
stangman327 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Swine Spectator's Addendum:

Take 1/2 Gallon of Sweet Tea and dissolve 1/4 cup kosher salt to make a chicken brine.
(Be sure to dispose of tea brine after use)

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman327 View Post
I’ve found that adding a pinch of salt or baking soda enhances the flavor of iced tea as well.
Really? I would have never thought of that. I can kinda see why salt would, but I'm at a loss for baking soda. Both are intriguing though. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
Swine Spectator's Addendum:

Take 1/2 Gallon of Sweet Tea and dissolve 1/4 cup kosher salt to make a chicken brine.
(Be sure to dispose of tea brine after use)
I wasn't going to give away THAT secret too ;) But since you went and dun it, yeah, I love using sweet tea as a base for a good bird brine!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

I am weird, I prefer unsweetened tea. It is sure good on a hot summer's day.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not a tea drinker but would pay big bucks to watch the video you described. But then I've been drinking something else most of the day.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sweet tea