MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #7381
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I run mine at 300...I just always turn intake away from the wind and adjust the intake as needed.
Do you need to open the intake more than the recommendation from PBC to reach 300 consistently?
viodea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #7382
viodea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
I've heard people say to run it 90 degrees from the wind. Then you still get airflow but it doesn't over run the temp.
I'm not sure about this. I'm afraid if the wind is high enough, it's going to suck air from the intake like a spray gun.
viodea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #7383
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea View Post
Do you need to open the intake more than the recommendation from PBC to reach 300 consistently?
Not always..I just adjust as needed. After I put charcoal in I usually open or close as needed. Once it gets about where I want I close down either all the way or an 1/4 inch or so.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #7384
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
I've heard people say to run it 90 degrees from the wind. Then you still get airflow but it doesn't over run the temp.
+1 this has definitely helped me on windy days

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #7385
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

I never adjust mine, just set it for sea level and let it do its thing. I also run my intake 180 to the wind and have never had any issues.
Av8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #7386
NY Pork Junkie
On the road to being a farker

Here is my latest invention for the PBC. I call it a Pork-Swing. I use it for pork butts on the numerous occasions where I have other things hanging in the PBC, and I can't put the stock grate in when the butt hits 165 and needs to be foiled and put on a grate. No more finishing butts in the oven for me! Total cost is about $12.00 and it takes about 20 seconds to make.

NY Pork Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #7387
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

^^^Nice!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #7388
hs106
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Pork Junkie View Post
Here is my latest invention for the PBC. I call it a Pork-Swing. I use it for pork butts on the numerous occasions where I have other things hanging in the PBC, and I can't put the stock grate in when the butt hits 165 and needs to be foiled and put on a grate. No more finishing butts in the oven for me! Total cost is about $12.00 and it takes about 20 seconds to make.

Any concern that the chain links are not made of stainless steel?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #7389
NY Pork Junkie
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs106 View Post
Any concern that the chain links are not made of stainless steel?
Yeah, my goal is 100% stainless steel so that I can just toss the Pork-Swing in the dishwasher when after each cook. I used carbon steel #14 jack chain just for it's maiden voyage (pictured) because I was too impatient waiting for all of my stainless steel chain to come in via snail mail. Now I'm swimming in small stainless steel chain. I've got 35' in total!!!

I overbought the small SS chain because it's one of those things where $1.00 worth of chain costs $6.00 in shipping. If anybody wants to build one of these, send me a pm and I'll send you a few feet in an envelope via USPS for free. It was this thread that talked me into buying a PBC and boy am I glad I did! After I bought it, it was this thread that taught me how to go from a gasser only neanderthal to a fatty smoking, pork butt pulling, rib hanging, drum tender. Thanks guys!

I bought 5' of jack #12 304 stainless steel jack chain from McMaster Carr to replace the temporary carbon steel chain. Soon after I ordered the SS jack chain, I found 27 ft of some great 304 SS 6mm curb chain for $15. Next I bought 30" of 9mm 304 SS curb chain necklace on Amazon because I knew it would come in 2 days. My 8" swing is currently sporting the 9mm jack chain. Now my swing has some bling!

Having tried the curb chain I can say without hesitation that it's superior to the #14 jack chain. The jack chain is kink prone, it's very difficult to clean, and worst of all, each link is essentially a 1/2" long double-link, and the links are too small to get a hook through, so the chain has to actually sit on top of the chain. That makes finding a precise balance point a bit fiddly. The curb chain is much less prone to kinking, slides fluidly over the hook to a perfect balance point, is much easier to clean, and frankly just looks kind of awesome! I'll post a pic in a bit.
NY Pork Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #7390
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

I love the ingenuity, NYPJ. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #7391
pocketflask
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
In regards to baby backs, you can significantly reduce your cooking time if you cut them first then cook. Hour to hour and a half maximum. No wrapping or anything obviously.

Just popping back in to say thanks for the idea and tips. Took the PBC tailgating and did buffalo turds on the grate with three racks of baby backs cut in individual "riblets", placed in baskets, and hung. Ribs took about 90 minutes and were plenty tender with just the right amount of smoke. The PBC was a hit. People kept walking by asking what was in there. Sorry for the lack of pics. I was more basted than the ribs by the time the food came off.
pocketflask is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #7392
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
In regards to baby backs, you can significantly reduce your cooking time if you cut them first then cook. Hour to hour and a half maximum. No wrapping or anything obviously.

What is the low-down on your hanging skewers? I just posted a new thread with a prototype idea I'm working on. I'm curious what is keeping your meat from falling off??

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #7393
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Sake uses a potato at the end.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #7394
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketflask View Post
Just popping back in to say thanks for the idea and tips. Took the PBC tailgating and did buffalo turds on the grate with three racks of baby backs cut in individual "riblets", placed in baskets, and hung. Ribs took about 90 minutes and were plenty tender with just the right amount of smoke. The PBC was a hit. People kept walking by asking what was in there. Sorry for the lack of pics. I was more basted than the ribs by the time the food came off.
Glad you tried and like it. It's like in between smoked and grilled. Good stuff.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #7395
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
What is the low-down on your hanging skewers? I just posted a new thread with a prototype idea I'm working on. I'm curious what is keeping your meat from falling off??
Quote:
Sake uses a potato at the end.
I only used potatoes at the end as insurance just in case. I stopped using potatoes altogether for a while now.

These skewers are plenty available here so I just looped the ends into hooks for hanging in the drums. I hang beef, ground beef, pork, wings, sausages etc without any issues. I plan on doing Churrasco soon.

This was on Sunday in the Hunsaker drum

Ground beef/pork kabobs

Pork shoulder chunks also

Nothing fell or burnt

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it