PBC Thermometer Mod

RidiculousWonk

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Fellow PBC owners,

I've owned my PBC for about 8 months and have made some great Q on it. However, my fire stalls from time to time on long cooks (pork butt, brisket, turkey, etc.). My digital thermometer is a single probe unit (Thermoworks Chefalarm), so I don't have a digital pit probe to monitor the fire. Has anyone out there drilled into their PBC to install a regular thermometer? Any recommendations on location (on the lid or on the side just below the grate)? I know the PBC is supposed to be idiot proof, but I just want an easy way to make sure the fire is right.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

RidiculousWonk

I would happy to give you some suggestions but the PB God's might rain down thunder and lightning on me. :shock:

Lid? I would off set it a little off center so you could rotate it if you had to. I thread my Maverick probes through the rebar holes but sounds like you want a permanent one. Or just use your single probe to monitor fire and occasionally insert it into meat to check temp as you go.

I added a Tel-Tru 2" below the grate base on one side. The location does not interfere with the charcoal basket going in or out. I can position the PBC to glance outside the sliding door on cold/windy days. While not "officially sanctioned" it is helpful.

7fc459f71b04aae9952b95fb0aed8af7_zpswibxepcz.jpg

I added a Tel-Tru 2" below the grate base on one side. The location does not interfere with the charcoal basket going in or out. I can position the PBC to glance outside the sliding door on cold/windy days. While not "officially sanctioned" it is helpful.

7fc459f71b04aae9952b95fb0aed8af7_zpswibxepcz.jpg

:tape::clap2:

Combine that with SGH's mod and y'all are getting somewhere! ...oops :tape:

What's SHG's Mod?

Mike he welded some type of 2" ball valve on...guessing over that metal flap hole but i'm not sure....that would be a guess.

Future models PB would be smart to add therms and slider or ball valve intakes but that's jmho. :becky:

ts a little off topic, but if it helps someone , pic of charcoal ''ash pan''
el cheap-o pizza pan ,notched and bolted to basket
IMG_0442_zpslephnckd.jpg

Back