• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

USDA Prime at Costco

NewEnglandQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I shopped at a different Costco than the one I usually shop at and they had Prime Ribeyes and Strips. I bought the Rib Eyes and they were fantastic at 8.99 a lb. I taked to my local Costco and they said they will be getting prime as well. They said Costco execs decided they want to be know for it and have it at every location.

Won't get any complaints from me if they expand their USDA Prime selection! Thanks for the heads up.

Ours has it from time to time. They had a whole prime ribeye roast which had a great price.

My local Costcos have both Prime and Choice all the time. I didn't realize that this was a limited distribution thing.

OTOH, I've noticed that the Prime grade subprimals are pretty small in size. The ribeye subprimals look thin - more like NY strip loin rather than the plump ribeye of years ago.

I think it's a result of harvesting the animals younger as demand for Prime goes up. There is a downside to Costco going nationwide with Prime meat.

That is really the USDA's fault for lowering standards of Choice and Prime meats for the last 18 months. This help offset the increased grain cost which provided a better return for cattle.

Back