Killer Pastrami.....Oh Yeah

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I tried pastrami two weeks ago, Okay but not great. This past week, with the St. Patty day sale on conrned beef, I said I am going to do this again. So I looked at the $1.69/lb points, mixed flats and then settled on a $3.69/lb black angus flat. Took it home and the rest is delicious history.

1.) Soaked with cold water and potatoes for 48 hours, changing H20 and taters four times.

2.) Pat dry then rub..See link below for roadmap I used

3.) Put it on at 5:30 PM on Sunday.........To many Schlitz

4.) At 10:00 pm still at 140*...........went to bed, told my wife to wake me in two hours, so I could check my meat.

5.) Alarm goes off at midnight, wife tells me to check my meat. It's only at
160* so back to bed this time with my wireless timer. Ask the wife to wake when it goes off at 180*.

6.) 3:30 am timer goes off, wife says your meat is done. So on with the pants, shoes and outside I go. Check a couple of spots and, yes 182*, but the probe tells me no. I think FARK this, you're done.

7.) Take it inside and of course sample............WOW Way Good. Throw it in the fridge and go to bed. My meat was cold.

8.) Tonight I steamed it to 200* internal and made sammies. Now this is what I'm talking about :shocked::shocked::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Pastrami Links:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

http://lakesidesmokers.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

I sure did have fun. Keep trying and keep smokin' The only thing I will change for next time, start it earlier and 1/2 the pepper. Otherwise, I need more Schlitz.

PR0N Order.

1.) After Soak

2.) Rubbed.

3.) Smoked at 250* over pecan for 10 FARKIN HOURS and fridged

4.) Sliced

5.) Sammie with, Bavarian Kraut, Swiss Cheese, and Polish mustard.

Checked it in the steamer with my Brand New, Super Fast, Splashproof, Thermonuclear, Red Thermopen

Last edited:
Nice job!
If you want to save some money get over to Stoneridge in Wautoma. Corned beef flats are on sale for 99 cents a pound this week. Not the biggest cuts but the price is right.

Looks great. I got one soaking now. I'm going to try thirdeye's wet pastrami cooking method #2 recipe in my BGE.

the instructions say to "score the fat" to mark the grain, and after cooking cut against the grain...

How do you identify the "grain"

Thanks!!

The grain in meat is like it is in wood. Look for the direction that the fibers run. Then score the fat in that direction. When carving, cut perpendicular to that cut line.

the instructions say to "score the fat" to mark the grain, and after cooking cut against the grain...

How do you identify the "grain"

Thanks!!

Bruce, here is a good shot of the grain on a fresh brisket flat, the second picture is of a corned brisket flat. (on the fresh one I cut a notch to show me grain direction, I carve transverse to the notch). Corning will sometimes tighten the grain a little, so you have to look a little closer.

DSC09750a.jpg

DSC09818a.jpg

Back