MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
roastntoast
On the road to being a farker

Default Chicken Question

Might sound like a newbie question but here it goes. In the Chicken category do you use boneless thighs or bone in.

Jules
roastntoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Bone in always for thighs - the bone really helps the meat stay juicy and I think adds flavor. Cheaper too!
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

Most folks cook bone in thighs, some of them turn in sliced breasts, and rarely you'll see drumsticks.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Bentley
Babbling Farker

When I cooked the chicken on the team I liked the bonless. To me you are able to get more surface area for brining, marinaids and rubs. I also found that you are able to form the piece so that it cooks much more evenly and can shape the peices for uniformity, I did not notice a lot of moisture loss when it was brined. When my sister took over doing chicken, she pretty much took the traditional route.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.thepickledpig.com/howtobb...en/chicken.cfm

I think this article is one of the very best ever written on competition chicken cooking. Very informative and worth reading.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote