Pulled pork for concession stand

augie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My son's high school soccer team runs the concession stand during their games as a fundraiser. We do the usual pizza, hot dogs, & nachos thing, but this year has brought a new twist - at every game so far we've had a parent step up and bring something different to be that night's "special".

First night it was chili, next time out someone brought chicken and rice soup. So I volunteered to bring pulled pork for sammies for tomorrow night's matches.

I have two butts (roughly 6-7 lbs each) on the WSM right now - I put them on before I left for work this morning, they should be close to ready to cooler by the time I get home, and I'll pull them tonight.

I'm looking for opinions on the best way to heat/keep them for tomorrow. I'll need to deliver the pork to the stand around 5:00PM, the JV game is at 5:30 and the varsity at 7:00.

I'm thinking of heating the pork in four of the half-size aluminum foil pans in the oven, then covering, putting in a cooler with heated techni-ice and taking them like that. I can either just leave the cooler at the stand for the evening, or they can transfer the pans to the heated chamber thing they use to keep the pizzas hot.

The easiest thing for the folks working the stand would be to put some sauce in with the pork when I heat it up, that way all they'll have to do is put some on a bun and it's good to go, but the purist in me kind of balks at not just having the sauce on the side - although to do that I'll need to locate and buy some of those squirt bottles.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

How did they keep the soup and chili warm? Chafing dishes? Crock Pots? Is there a stove there? Is there electricity available? Need more details.

There is electricity, but no stove. They used crock pots for the other two dishes.

We do the concessions for our high school track and field meets,, and always have pulled pork, I use an electric roaster, and add a few splashes of DR. Pepper for extra moisture,, then serve sauce on the side. We get a few people that perfer mustard to bbq sauce,, and some don't want any sauce at all. I find its best to let the customer add what he/she wants. I put my sauce into a big ketchup container with a pump on it.. works real well. Good Luck.

I've had good luck with a crock pot with apple juice for pulled pork to keep it warm and usable.

Back