• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for a replacement smoker/cooker

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking for some Brethren input. My Akorn finally gave out after 5 years. I leave it with my RV in Florida, and the climate took its toll on the bottom flange. I’m going to be looking for a replacement over the summer while at home in the north. My needs are for long cooks, hot grilling, pizza, etc. I prefer using lump charcoal or wood vs briquettes. I’ve got no problem picking up another Akorn, but I don’t want to overlook any other good cookers. I have a Primo xl & COS at home & zero experience with Weber. Any advice from experience would be a great help. Thanks All in advance.
Mike

What size cooking surface are you looking at? Can't go wrong with a 18/22/26 Weber Kettle for the money, and quality.

You can get a 26" Weber kettle for $299. I use mine all the time and love it. There's a bit of a learning curve to get a stable temp but not hard to master.

I'll piggyback off of Allboy and Norm, and suggest getting a Weber....the 18" (but preferably a 22") Weber Smokey Mountain or a 22" Weber Kettle.......both the 22" WSM and the 22" Kettle will put you under budget. I know you're only wanting to replace one cooker...but there's no such thing as having "too many cookers".:-D

You could easily find a used 22" kettle near Bradenton or Sarasota on Craigslist. Do you have room for a kettle and WSM?

I'll echo Sid's PK recommendation. All aluminum except the grates, seawater is no problem. You will still have it in 20 years. Plus I would guess that in Florida space is at a bit of a premium, and they are small and easy to store for the summers.

The PK is a good idea. I’d think about a 22 or 26” Weber kettle with a “Slow and Sear” as well. Really easy for long smokes and great for dual zone grilling.

Would expect either option to hold up well in the elements

I’ve got a vision that I’ve been real happy with.

Back