Question For Humphreys Owners

Jraiona

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Humphreys Pint. On my first couple of runs I used the maze with a full basket of Kingsford blue bag and found that a little better than half the basket of coals was spent. Based on that I estimate I would have gotten only 6-8 hours out of the coals. How are you guys getting long cooks?

what temp? Are you using a guru or anything similar? How far do you open your stack?

250-275 and am using a Guru DX2. I have the exhaust open between Haley to quarter open.

water eats thru charcoal. are you using water? how much meat? was it a slab of ribs or did you have it loaded down. lots of things can affect charcoal usage.

water eats thru charcoal. are you using water? how much meat? was it a slab of ribs or did you have it loaded down. lots of things can affect charcoal usage.
He is on it. It also helps to preheat. They take quite a long time to warm up also. An hour to get to 275-300 for our Quebed Pint.

We were at 300 and had over 10 hours and one leg left on the maze using a IQ110 and Guru on another cook. No water, firebricks in the pan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I use fire bricks in place of water. I was cooking just a single rack of ribs to start getting to know this cooker.

I recently purchased a Humphreys Pint. On my first couple of runs I used the maze with a full basket of Kingsford blue bag and found that a little better than half the basket of coals was spent. Based on that I estimate I would have gotten only 6-8 hours out of the coals. How are you guys getting long cooks?

10-12 hours and sometimes longer on a pint plus and Battle Box. The variation for me is mostly due to how cold the cooker is initially. Also it seems it would take more coals to get the pint to temp than to maintain it, so simply doubling the amount of time because you went through 1/2 of the coals might not be accurate.

Beentown is right about pre-heating. also don't forget that it does not take as much fuel to keep a temp in an insulated cabinet vs coming up to temp. i am guessing you would have found that after a few hours you would have had to start closing down intakes/exhaust to keep the temps from rising. maybe your estimate is a little off because of not letting it run completely. i would think 8-10 hours.

Thanks guys. Pj and jread those are factors I hadn’t considered and that makes a lot of sense. Others have suggested not using the maze claiming they get longer burn times without it.

Thanks guys. Pj and jread those are factors I hadn’t considered and that makes a lot of sense. Others have suggested not using the maze claiming they get longer burn times without it.

it works either way. i like the maze without water as i can keep the intake a little more open to allow more airflow. without the maze i would need water and probably have the intakes closed 95%. also, there is more charcoal in the basket when you remove the firebricks so even though they are getting longer burn times it is relative to the amount of charcoal they are using.

I have the Down East Beast, and I prefer to use lump charcoal. I also use the BBQ Guru Digi-Q and I don't use the maze for my charcoal.

On an 8 lb of lump I easily get a 10 hour burn, and have had some go to 14 hours. Very little difference in charcoal usage whether I have 2 pork butts or 10 pork butts in the beast.

Lump charcoal, no maze, sand in the water pan. dx2 and your upper hatch at 1/2 inch. 12 hours at 250 no problem. Problem with maze, is it takes too long for pit to fire. Burning too long to get to temp. Dump the maze, fill it 7/8 full, then dump hot coals in back right corner. Fire the Guru and let her rip. The heat sink will let you burn less coals, as it stays very hot.

I can easily go 12 hours in my Qubed Pint with a maze and lump. I use the metal maze from Humpreys so I don't lose much space like you might if you use thick fire brick. I bought my smoker used and when I was emailing with Nicole about the maze I also found out that I had a shallow charcoal pan and got a deeper one too - that increased my cooking times significantly.

As other people have said, boiling water in your smoker takes a lot of energy so you'll get longer cooks without water. I also either add some fuel after coming up to temp and before putting my food on or - more often - preheat with a weed burner so I don't use up so much fuel just coming up to temp.

I run my pint plus 300- 350. Get at least 8 hrs. No maze. Run natural draft. Up to temp in 30 min after pre heating with weed burner. Add water once up to temp. I have slide in water pans.

Back