Tried Blues Hog original for the first time today.....

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
AND OHHH MY GOODNESS!!!! It was FARKING delicious!

Can't believe I've been missing out all these years..

Tried it today at the annual Daytona 500 party where my uncle and his work buddies handled the Q for the 100ish person crowd. Made baby backs and an assortment of chicken wings, legs, thighs, and breasts that were all sauced after coming off the pit with Blues Hog Original. I liked it better on the chicken than I did the ribs but on the flip, the ribs were a little underdone and chewy so that could have spoiled it for me. If I had to guess they were in a hurry to get the racks done and didn't cook them until they were toothpick tender. Oh well, I've been recruited to make a heap of pulled pork for next years party so maybe I'll pass around a little rib cookin' wisdom! :becky:

The female selection of the crowd didn't seem to care for the sauce. My girlfriend didn't seem to like it either and said that she likes SBR's better. Coincidence or is this a trend others have noticed? Maybe its an acquired taste??

Tried BH Original, Tennessee Red, & Smokey Mountain today for the first time as well on BBs and shorties.....Mmmmmm!!!!!!

The female selection of the crowd didn't seem to care for the sauce. My girlfriend didn't seem to like it either and said that she likes SBR's better. Coincidence or is this a trend others have noticed? Maybe its an acquired taste??

Hmmm never noticed if genders have a preference either way. I do know that people tend to either really like a lot or not much at all. It has some very distinct flavors working in there.

My wife loves it, I do as well. Only had the original, Tennessee red is waiting to be tried out.

TN RED is by far the best I ever tasted for pulled pork and chicken.Just my taste.I have heard some mix OrigBH ad TN RED for ribs and other cooks with great success.????

I've been eying their honey mustard sauce. Has anyone tried that? I love honey mustard and am curious to try it.

TN RED is by far the best I ever tasted for pulled pork and chicken.Just my taste.I have heard some mix OrigBH ad TN RED for ribs and other cooks with great success.????

Yup. A 50/50 mix is a favorite of mine.

I'm a +1 on the mix of BH original and TR. Stuff is delicious when combined! :thumb:

I've been eying their honey mustard sauce. Has anyone tried that? I love honey mustard and am curious to try it.

The Honey Mustard is amazing. I use it on pork loin, and I also use it as a salad dressing. I can't recommend it enough to anyone who likes a mustard sauce. I still think original is my favorite, although I haven't tried TN Red...

I haven't had the smoky mountian sauce. What do you guys think of it compared to the Red and Original?

I love mustard sauce as well but BH mustard was not that good. The best I've found is from Old Mule out of NC. Can be found at oldmule.com
Their other sauces are also great.

Personally, I really like the HM. Then again, I really like mustard sauces in general and honey mustard anything is good as well. I like it on PP.

I haven't had the smoky mountian sauce. What do you guys think of it compared to the Red and Original?

The SM is da bomb. As I understand it, this sauce was created to taste like Original and another sauce that were commonly being combined in the comp scene, so the SM is basically the Original, amped up with a smokey flavor and a little sump'n sump'n. Good stuff.

So it sounds like I'll just have to buy a jar of each and try em out. I hope I like them all but if it comes down to it, I'll stick to the original since its heaven in a mason jar!

Back