MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Timmy Mac
Take a breath!

Default Big Joe and XL egg

Tossing these around and was wondering, what's a good prices on these cookers? I know there has been a lot of talk about these cookers. Sorry for another post about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Called my local dealer yesterday. He sales both plus the Primo.

The KJ Big Joe was ~$1200. Includes the rolling stand and bamboo wings, ash tool, cover and some other goodies. Red or Black and its assembled already.

The XL BGE by itself was ~$1,000.

The Primo Oval XL by itself was ~$1,200.

I'm going by there on Thursday to look at all three. I've ruled out the Primo and really starting to like the Big Joe more and more.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

I have the XL BGE, and I have looked at the Big Joe. Looks to me like KJ did a great job improving upon the BGE. I like a lot of features of the KJ over mine, and would probably trade even up if anyone offered. BGE has a cult like following and you can go to events to learn etc. I think either is a good choice, I like the stainless, and the bigger ring on the KJ. I think their gasket is a quarter inch wider than the one on the BGE.
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

JMSetzler got a really good deal on his KJ (either classic or Big Joe, can't remember) end of season- 200$ off IIRC.

A lot of ppl like the green BGE's and red KJ's, but I think the black is the slickest color. And I agree on the stainless look being the better of the two as far as looks.

From looking at the pics though, the xl looks bigger and might take a tiny bit more time/fuel to bring it up to temp (this might not be true- I have no experience as of yet with kamados).

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 02-19-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
Timmy Mac
Take a breath!

Default Re: Big Joe and XL egg

Thanks! I like them both. I can get the big Joe for around 1100 plus tax. The XL was around 1310. I do like the fire box on the big Joe better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2