Are Fireboxes Simply Too Big???

LeeBo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Here's something for a philosophical Q discussion:

I've noticed that every upright and/or barrel smoker that I have ever seen would benefit from a basket. I was thinking today as I placed my basket (with divider) in the firebox - "Why don't they just make smaller fireboxes?"

I suppose the trade-off would be smaller wood size, but still, you could load it fully packed, light it, and be ready to smoke.

Moreover, if you ever had the chance to build your own smoker, would you use an normal sized firebox with a smaller in-set basket or just build a smaller firebox?

- LeeBo

Baskets need good ventilation. That is why they are full of holes and smaller than the firebox.

My initial thought/response was, "What about those that don't use baskets. The boxes are still large." However, I see your point.

The size of the box is for more than fuel. Takes oxygen to burn it.

(Wish someone would cut down the trees so I could see the forest) hehehe.

- LeeBo

BYC has a 20x20x24 firebox and once hot will maintain 250 on a single 8 inch split or small coalbed. Larger box gives you versatality. Lets you build a large fire for preheat and establishing a coalbed.. once its hot, it and allows smaller fires with better airflow.

The one dimension that is almost never big enough, especially on the 'dera, is height. The vertical space required for ashroom and air circulation under the fire plus the vertical space required for an efficent, controlable basket fire makes height the most critical dimension and unfortunately its usually the first over looked.

Back