pulled pork juice Q

ChiefP

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've been a member for years, but haven't been here in awhile...seems I've been demoted to noob. I can't even search. Anyway, I'm doing pulled pork for sunday. How do you seperate the fat from the juice when done? I've always used a pan under it on my WSM and poured it back in while shredding to add moisture. I'd like to seperate the fat first though. Thinking of putting pan in fridge for awhile to cool and then just spooning off the fat once it's solidified on top. Better plan?

If you want to do it while it is hot, you need a defatting measuring cup. Or you can pour it in a jar, and let it sit for a little bit, the fat will come to the top, and skim, or suck it off with a turkey baster or syringe. If you put in the fridge and chill it, the fat will solidify, then you just scrape it off.

Welcome back, Chief.

Sounds delicious.

Knock it out of the park with that pork.

Search at the bottom of the page with Google (only w/in The Brethren).... or throw some cash in the hat.

Refrigerate the pan for about 10 minutes while the pork is in the holding stage, the fat solidifies and is lifted off the top in one solid piece.

The remaining juice has not cooled, and can be added to the pork after it has been pulled. No extra dishes to clean..

But if you don't like this process, the fat separator is your other option..

I have a fat separator- still wrapped up. I find it easy enough to use a turkey baster while the liquid is still hot. I don't use it to pull the fat off the top. I just go right to the bottom of the measuring cup and pull the good juices off the bottom. When I get all I need, put the rest of the liquid in a jar and drop it in the trash bin. no muss- no fuss.

I never use the pan drippings, after 14 hours in the smoker mine are just thick and gloppy grease, mixed with my spray (mop).... but I use a separator to de-fat the foil juices (either from a wrapped finish, or from resting in foil) to that I would add Minor's Pork base then add those juices to the pulled meat. They are also good to thin out a sauce. You can see my drip pan in this photo. And below some good foil juices.

gIWzt.jpg

9MrA9.jpg

I never use the pan drippings, after 14 hours in the smoker mine are just thick and gloppy grease, mixed with my spray (mop).... but I use a separator to de-fat the foil juices (either from a wrapped finish, or from resting in foil) to that I would add Minor's Pork base then add those juices to the pulled meat. They are also good to thin out a sauce. You can see my drip pan in this photo. And below some good foil juices.
[/CENTER]

I've always had the same results as you. Even when I pour it off (either to a jar or a fat separator) it all is the same fat/grease. I've stopped trying to save that, and just use the resting juices at this point.

I've always had the same results as you. Even when I pour it off (either to a jar or a fat separator) it all is the same fat/grease. I've stopped trying to save that, and just use the resting juices at this point.

I've never used the drippings, either, but I keep reading on this site that many people do.

My issue is the drippings always look really nasty, and usually contain some ash from the woodburning firebox or pellets. I dont know how folks collect clean, pure drippings unless maybe they're cookin with gas?

Back