Ribologists: Help me make the best ribs of my life tonight

Socks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've got a Vision Kamado.

I don't have a good platesetter setup. But, I think I can get better results than I've had before if I hang a pizza tray covered in foil from the bottom rack on hooks, with not much room around the edges.

I've tried ribs a few times now, and they tend to get overdone, hard and crunchy especially on the tips. To be honest I like my ribs overdone (fall off bone or whatever) if I had to guess, but I don't know I've tried something that was really competition quality, so I'm probably just speaking out of my ass on that. But I definitely love when they're juicy and meaty and not hard.

I have an ET732, just got it. Any tips on where I should place it? What pit temp should it say for ribs?

My last cooks I've just applied rub, put them flat on the grill, tried to follow temperature advice from here, no foil, etc. Applied barbecue sauce during the last half hour 2-3 times.

So I'm thinking my problems have been: Not having a good enough heat diffuser. I'd just put a pizza pan covered in foil on the bottom rack sometimes. I think too much room around the edges (maybe 2 inches difference between pan size and the wall of the kamado). Maybe the temperatures weren't accurate as well from the built in thermometer, so the 732's pit probe should help with that.

I have a bunch of side ribs from Costco ready to go. The two rubs I have are "Butt Rub" and Yard Bird. I also have all the stuff I'd need to make my own...

Show me the way champs. :boxing:

I cook them at 275ish until the poke test (toothpick) has a little bit of resistance, ( after about 2 hours) then I foil with some beer or Apple juice for a little while. I do this until they're almost at 90 degrees on the bend test (anywhere from 30-1 hr in foil). Then I let them go about another hour with no foil until the tooth pick goes in with no resistance and they easily bend to 90 degrees. This is when I put on sauce and let them go for another 15-30 minutes. The family and I love them. I'm not going to claim they;re the best in the world, but they;re tasty. a little bite left but basically fall off the bone. Damn I want some ribs now.

Pork spare ribs are my favorite. I always trim the membrane off the backside, which I think helps out a lot. I do a basic dry rub, then put them on at 275 meat side up for 2hrs, then meat side down for 1hr. Then wrap with brown sugar, blue bottle, and honey or agave nectar. Put back on 1 more hour. Then re- wrap again with my fovorite BBQ sauce, then bacK on for 30 min or if you want fall off the bone, booooooooo, then 1-2 more hours. This is just how I do it, and I've won and placed high with these ribs. Good luck.

Alright I'm doing something like this tonight. I don't have squirtable butter, but I'll go with regular butter, honey and brown sugar like I've seen them do on BBQ Pitmasters and as Smokeass says above. Using some applewood. I put the wood on in the beginning, is that okay? I put it to the side of the bowl, and lit the centre of the coals only. I'm going to try and not run up my temps this time on ignition as I sometimes lazily do. Just get to 275 and try and hold it.

Definitely applewood is excellent for ribs! And smoking from the beginning is best. If you don't get so much smoke later in the cook, that's OK.

Fire control is absolutely where it's at. If you can control your temps, you can control your WORLD! LOL!

Alright rub applied (one set yardbird, the other set bad byron's butt rub), they're on the grill. I did the rolled up trick I saw the other day since I didn't have enough room for 2 slabs of side ribs (4 long pieces). Hope it goes well. I laid one out, the other 3 are rolled up. Wish me luck boys.

a couple of questions

What are side ribs?

What is the 90best degree bend?

Thanks

What is the 90best degree bend?

Thanks

The bend test-

BendTest.jpg

Back