MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
PTSidehow
Knows what a fatty is.

Default What are the Pro's & cons of Cherry,plum,peach and pear

What are the good points and any bad points for the use of any of these fruit wood in smokers or cooking with them. I have cherry wood, peach, pear and plum, From removing the trees from my parents back yard a number of years ago.

Was wondering since the original use for it is no longer needed. It has been ten years at least since it was sprayed with any type of bug treatment, and it was power washed.

Is one type better than another for certain foods?
Can you just mix it up for a different flavor?
That type of thing.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I have never used plum. Pear is just like apple, cherry is a nice, but peach is my favorite for everything. I sometimes will throw a chunk of cherry in with the peach but it probably don't do anything. Looks like you have a lot of experimenting to do. Nice score!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
keend
is one Smokin' Farker

It's all terrible stuff. I will stop by and take it all off your hands so you do not have to bother with it.

All have a nice mild smoke flavor which would be great for fish, chicken, and lighter meats. The differences will be very shuttle. Suggest mixing with hickory for pork, but that's just my preference.

Smoke on and let us know what you like best.

Misplaced in the Mid-West

NB Bandera
22.5" Weber Kettle
[COLOR=black]22.5" WSM[/COLOR]
keend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
PTSidehow
Knows what a fatty is.

I had heard that it was all good, but being a gasser at this time. The son is the smoker and with the one we built for him. he will get some free wood and I get more storage room in the lean to's.
A win-win deal for us both!
Thanks

Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
whodeyQ
Full Fledged Farker

I tried plum for the first time last weekend and it smelled sweet like flowers. I immediatlely put hickory in to change the smoke. I didn't want my food to taste that way.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've always been a huge fan of cherry for pork.. not sure why. I just love it.
Lots of people always mix it with hickory or oak or whatever I've noticed, but if I can I use straight cherry for pork, it's DEEEEEELICIOUS!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
paparpapar
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default oak

i like cherry, apple and love hickory, but last time i got wood the farmer sold me some awesome oak. this is great on the pork loin and the rub i made up. used bout 4 cups rub on a 10 lb loin. gotta luv it.
paparpapar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Icetech
On the road to being a farker

I am trying cherry right now for the first time.. the smoke is "ok" it is a bit sweet but still with a little burning house smell like mesquite has to me..:( i LOVE apple.. but the best i have ever used is pecan. very mild smoke, which is what i like:)
Icetech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Cherry will help give the meat a nice color. Better that then rest. Peach is great but harder to come by. Peach and Cherry is a good combo. Good color and flavor. When I use fruit wood I go a 3 to 2 ratio flavor wood to cherry.

Tags
Cherry wood, fruit wood, peach wood, Pear wood, plum wood