Brisket Getting Scarce And Prices Climbing.

Speeed

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Wife wanted me to smoke a brisket this past weekend for a small get together we were going to on Sunday. So Friday we tried all our usual local places (except Restaurant Depot, because they would have been closed by the time we got there) and no one had brisket. I came home and checked the usual suspects online, most were out of stock and if they have stock, prices are through the roof. Creekstone wants $187 for a prime brisket :crazy:

Cant wait till the processing plants ramp back up.

(I made St. Louie ribs instead)

Is this the case in your area?

It’s around $5/lb here, which after trimming and 40% weight loss from cooking makes it rather expensive. That’s about double what it was before. I think it’ll come back down in a bit so I’ll wait for that. I “bought the dip” when there was excess supply and lower demand and am sitting on a fair amount of cheap beef. Also snagged a wagyu brisket for $5/lb that I’m cooking next weekend. Take that, ‘Rona.

In general, beef is up about 100% around here and pork 50%.

Bout $5 a pound here to, I let it lay.

Mrs. 4ever3 called me one day last week to see which prime rib roast I wanted, $215 or $240... Neither

https://kissfm969.com/why-are-supermarket-beef-prices-soaring-in-amarillo/

Back when all this was ramping up Instead of a spare bedroom of toilet paper we bought 1# packages of hamburger 90/10 & 80/20
From a local butcher. There’s just the two of us and our total freezer space 5cf Chest , side by side fridge/freezer and smaller beer fridge/top freezer are pretty full.

Who knows with beef prices skyrocketing, beans may be cool in chili for a while (wife just read this and told me to leave the bean haters alone)

Last edited:
I'm still eating off my freezer but RD had an advertised sale for $3.89 LB for beef knuckle, got there and it was $8.38 ..... With a sign saying "we may not honor sale prices"... so stop the teaser rates... I know this is terrible pandemic but to advertise online, and tease people is B.S. just take the beef adds out... I think RD is starting to play the local supermarket game... I have been true to them but I'm starting to think twice.... Btw.. I picked up a nice sirloin roast at a family grocery store (that had 1 tenth the buying power) for $5.99 a lb.... It will be a while before I go back.

Thanks,
Greg

Just choice at Costco Business which sell it the cheapest. Flats are $7.49/lb. I know prime is up there.

bxZ7UEBh.jpg

I'm still eating off my freezer but RD had an advertised sale for $3.89 LB for beef knuckle, got there and it was $8.38 ..... With a sign saying "we may not honor sale prices"... so stop the teaser rates... I know this is terrible pandemic but to advertise online, and tease people is B.S. just take the beef adds out... I think RD is starting to play the local supermarket game... I have been true to them but I'm starting to think twice.... Btw.. I picked up a nice sirloin roast at a family grocery store (that had 1 tenth the buying power) for $5.99 a lb.... It will be a while before I go back.

Thanks,
Greg

This happened with the local jokers here too. Online ad showed $1.97/lb, but when I got to the store it was a fargan lie. Print ad didn't have the brisket so it was probably an honest mistake. Disheartening though.

Briskets I can get all day long. Need to get bank loan, but I can find them. Now Boston Butts, absolutely none to be had around here. Would have better luck buying unicorn steaks.

Briskets I can get all day long. Need to get bank loan, but I can find them. Now Boston Butts, absolutely none to be had around here. Would have better luck buying unicorn steaks.

Pork butts are plentiful here. I can buy cases if I wanted to.

Crazy!

This happened with the local jokers here too. Online ad showed $1.97/lb, but when I got to the store it was a fargan lie. Print ad didn't have the brisket so it was probably an honest mistake. Disheartening though.

Yeah, I think we all get it... Beef prices are up.. Unfortunately some workers are getting sick and paying a higher price for that I wouldn't complain, it's a thankless job so I can't fault the people... But when when they advertise a price online (that could be changed in 20 seconds) but decide to leave it up for 26 days is just B.S. Just stop advertising the "sales" on commodity prices.. heck, Ill still go to RD for the 1 gallon jug of Dawn soap and the 5 gallon Diet Coke Syrup... No matter what party your with, could someone just advertise the truth for once :-D I agree with you drunkenmeatfist!

Thanks,
Greg

Packers have been absent from our HEB lately. Around Easter you could get them for $1.97 a pound. Only thing I've seen these days are are market trimmed flat and point pieces, between 1 and 2 lbs each, at $4.99 a pound. But this weekend I found packers at Wal-Mart for $2.26 a pound. Some of them looked a little odd, a few had the Cry-O-Vac not very tight, but I think I found a decent one. Heavy rain this Memorial Day weekend kept me from smoking it, but I'll try it soon.

It seems like it wasn't that long ago I could get a 12 - 14 pound packer for 20 bucks. Sigh.

mjb.

Some of this stuff is reading as many news sources as possible and making a reasonable decision based in the knowledge you gain. The very second it blames a party or ideology or whatever, X it out and go to the next story. I live in meat packing country, cotton-wheat country corn- big fields of Amber Waves Of grain. Read, don’t assume this won’t impact fruit and vegetables. If you look, read-listen you’ll be surprised what you see. During those peak time evening news slots watch Family Feud. Find your news and read

Last edited:
Brisket is over $7/Lb for Choice, but it's nowhere to be found. Pork butts are at nearly $3/Lb, but again they are tough to find.

Saw an article earlier featuring Tacos made with hot dog Weiners. I just saw headline didn’t read it

I've been on the hunt for brisket for over a week and only one to be found (20 pounder) that I passed on. Today, WallyMart had a dozen or more at $2.78/lb. but they were Swift selects.... still, grabbed a 13 pounder to start wet-aging for July 4th. I still have a spare in the freezer.

Was at my Sam's Club yesterday morning (about 30 miles north of Detroit) they had about 6 USDSA Prime whole packers in the 15-18lb range at $6.99/lb. I purchased a 13lb Prime packer from there 3 weeks ago and it was $2.54/lb.

Last edited:
Back