Stick burner that is light weight/portable?

STLBBQer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I’ve read enough about stickburners on here to finally think it might be time to take the plunge. The problem is — it’s only me out here in NC with my wife and two kids. My wife has some health concerns, and my kids are tiny ones, so any lifting/manhandling of smokers is done by me and me alone. My Blaz’n GS at 185 lbs on casters is about at the limit of what I can comfortably manhandle by myself.

So a very important consideration for me is any stickburner I get has to be ~200 lbs or less on casters/wheels. I know that severely limits me, and if that’s so limiting that it’s not worth looking at stickburners, I can accept that.

The one that seems to fit the best straight off is the Karubecue C-60. Lightweight, movable, modular. People seem to like them.

I’d really love to hear other suggestions too. You’re all enablers, so I might as well get the inside scoop! :becky::clap2:

First thing that came to mind before reading your post was the KBQ which you're already on top of. Another option would be the LSG 20" with the off road wheel package not a light weight but would be very easy to move around when needed, the Shirley Patio also looks like it would be very easy to move around.

Is there any way to simply permanently park it, hence no need to move it?

Yes, but I think it’s more about future-proofing. We’ve already moved twice in two years, and while I hope this is our “forever home”, things can change quickly for my wife and where we end up. I just don’t want to be saddled with a 500 lb offset and no good way to move it. I’ve seen what movers do to a 100 lb dresser, I cringe to think what they’d do with a big offset.

Oh also to add...the bigger the stickburner, the more likely I am to be sleeping outside by the stickburner...because my wife will change the locks! :p

First, don't discount the positive effects of larger wheels. My Shirley Fabrication 42" cabinet model is a whole lot easier to move than my Evie Mae with the two front swivel casters that are the typical ~4" skinny hard wheels.

On concrete, the Evie Mae is easy to move but, anything else really requires my tractor or several strong men. The Shirley only has trouble in the really soft ground after rain even though it is heavier.

An Off-Road package would make either of them much easier to move. Loading a heavy smoker into a Uhaul is still going to be an issue but, one of the Workhorse pits with an "ATV / Golf Cart" tire off-road package would be hard to beat IMHO and is relatively close to you.

In fact, for my Evie Mae, I'm debating having an off-road cart built to move it around easier as moving it with my tractor is a bit cumbersome.

I also thought of the KBQ. If I had a couple extra thousand laying around I might grab that little joker.

I used to have a 120 gallon propane tank style smoker on casters. It was pretty manageable on my concrete patio on my own. Now i have a 250 and it's movable myself but it's better to have some help.

One suggestion with stick burners thick steel is huge for temp control. I know lot's of people turn out great food on smokers that don't have 1/4" steel walls, but i think they have to babysit the smoker much more to do so. If at all possible i'd try to cook on whatever smoker you have in mind before you buy one.

Yes, but I think it’s more about future-proofing. We’ve already moved twice in two years, and while I hope this is our “forever home”, things can change quickly for my wife and where we end up. I just don’t want to be saddled with a 500 lb offset and no good way to move it. I’ve seen what movers do to a 100 lb dresser, I cringe to think what they’d do with a big offset.

I think the Karubeque is a good option based on what you’ve shared. The large tires will help move a heavy smoker around the yard but won’t solve the relocating to a new “forever” home.

OC Pecos? Nope- not a quarter inch thick - but not too bad.

220# $399 dollars.

You could probably move it ok- and the price might allow you to sleep inside.

I would go with a Shirley 24x36 patio but I'm biased. Mine is a 24x48 with warmer and weighs between 1300-1400lbs but on a level surface it rolls quite easily. I wouldn't want to roll it across the yard without help but the pneumatic wheels are a back saver. I would think the 24x36 would be like pushing a kid in a wagon.

I have the KBQ but mostly use it during the summer and on non windy days. It’s fun to cook on but it’s different than running my M1 - not sure it’ll scratch that stick burner itch if that’s what you’re looking for.

On the other hand it’s light, easy to move around and puts out good food; using the searing grate on top of the firebox is like a rectangular vortex and can really get nuclear. Plus I go through a lot of wood especially when it gets chilly so it should knock that pile down to size in a hurry :heh:

I have a Horizon 16 and is easy for me to move around. It is above your weight limit, but with the large wheel diameter I can easily pull it where I need to take it. I would bet if you get a smaller offset with bigger wheels you won’t have issues moving it.

IMO light weight and portable means inefficient.
You can easily add a tow-bar to the front of a 24 x 36 SF and move it with your riding mower. I added a handle from a Gorilla cart for under $30 and it works great even in my Florida sand yard.

IMO light weight and portable means inefficient.
You can easily add a tow-bar to the front of a 24 x 36 SF and move it with your riding mower. I added a handle from a Gorilla cart for under $30 and it works great even in my Florida sand yard.

I agree with the above.
me personally IF I was going to get an offset to be able to move on the patio or in and out of the garage easy it would be either;
1. Jambo patio backyard model
2. Medow Creek patio backyard model

You can't go wrong with the KBQ. Puts out top notch BBQ with almost no effort. The most work you'll be doing is meat prep and making sure your wood is cut to the right size.

Agree with what's been said about the KBQ. I've had a 24x36 Lonestar Grillz offest, Hunsaker Drum, and the KBQ all at the same time. I now only own the KBQ.

I would go with a Shirley 24x36 patio but I'm biased. Mine is a 24x48 with warmer and weighs between 1300-1400lbs but on a level surface it rolls quite easily. I wouldn't want to roll it across the yard without help but the pneumatic wheels are a back saver. I would think the 24x36 would be like pushing a kid in a wagon.

I don't have the warmer on my 24x42 and can confirm that for me, my Shirley is manageable in sandy East Texas but, takes a firm hand. The 36" would be even easier.

Regarding loading for a new 'forever home', some long boards to roll it into or onto a trailer is doable for two people, or one with a tractor! :wink:

When I bought mine, there were three of us to load it onto my trailer which was a cakewalk with 4' boards and a natural slope in the parking lot. The Evie Mae was almost as easy with 8' boards even with the tiny front casters.

Back