Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks, So my friend Dan arrived with a load of wood yesterday. I was expecting a truck bed. But when he arrived he had his bed full and a 12' trailer in tow full of wood as well. We got it all unloaded and he was on his way. So today it was 7 hours on splitting and stacking. I didn't quite finish but I got close. I'm all out of things to stack on so I guess I'll have to grab some pallets before he gets back on Thursday with a bed load of citrus.

udldSvdl.jpg

Almond
LlPhcWpl.jpg

Asian Pear
aDZP4K5l.jpg

Pistachio
eA6kssOl.jpg

Cherry with some grape stump hidden underneath
oMdKTc4l.jpg

tBSzyKml.jpg

The pear fractures a lot during splitting
8uOMMa6l.jpg

c6Rp7EIl.jpg

WMC3ol3l.jpg

Almost forgot, I decided to cook a chuck roast on the offset while all this was going on. Ran it with the Asian Pear to see what it was like. The wood burned quite hot and super clean. It had a nice subtle and sweet taste. I'm sure it would be a little more pronounced on say ribs, fish or chicken. But I will be using it on beef again because its the most seasoned of the bunch.
dXko1gol.jpg

r6S0iI7l.jpg

NrpPo81l.jpg

This also gave me a chance to run some more tests on the stick burner and make some tweaks.

Probe 1 is top rack FB end, P2 top rack stack end, P3 is lower rack FB end and P4 is lower rack stack end
xsUHuuZl.jpg

wzCL1yxl.jpg

That's fantastic Josh!! I used to have a hydraulic log splitter.. So danged handy!
Great assortment of wood! :cool:

Forgot to add.. the chuck looks delicious!

Thanks Jeanie. I'm surprised you don't currently have a hydro splitter . It seem like you got everything on your spread. I sure don't have a tractor rim.

What a great problem to have! This is awesome.

Yup, problems like this I can enjoy.

You certainly have quite a variety of wood, and no doubt you will produce some great grub off of that stickburner with it if that chuck is any indication. Nice job!

Well Josh, that load of wood should keep you busy for a while producing some great cooks like that Chuckie turned out to be!
Having that type of variety of wood will make for some experimenting of flavors. Looks like the temps are holding good in the rebuild, good job!

Those will all work well in a stick burner or even a wood stove/fireplace!
We heat our house with a wood stove but that if feed from the trees that are no good for cooking. I would use less than 6 cords if I burned the hard wood but the pine, fir and cedar are free from work, Heck I even get paid to cut them down a process them.

Well Josh, that load of wood should keep you busy for a while producing some great cooks like that Chuckie turned out to be!

Thanks. Chuck and ribs are what it's turned out so far. Tri-Tip on Friday night.

Having that type of variety of wood will make for some experimenting of flavors. Looks like the temps are holding good in the rebuild, good job!

Thanks, I'm very happy with the temp and how she runs. I'm not good at waiting but I'll have to wait to see how the pistachio cooks. It's pretty wet still. Love cherry, almond and now I know I like Asian Pear too.

Very nice selection of wood. Great looking spot as well. Love all the trees.
It's a great place to work and live.

Back