Using Pellets for Flavor on a Ceramic Cooker

Arlin_MacRae

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just had a thought: can we ceramic cooker users use pellets for smoke? It seems like you could trickle some down through the top grate easily to add some sweet blue.

Anyone ever done it?

Arlin

Yes sirree! I use them just like I would chips. I scatter them throughout the lump or drop some in just before I put on the meat.

You can also foil pouch them and poke a few "tiny" holes in the foil that starves them for oxygen and give you a longer smoke time. BBQ delight had a small cast iron pot (they may still have it) that you could fill up and nestle in the coals. Both work great for short cooks.

Paul

Candy gives out individual foil pack samplers at comps and such where all you do is poke holes in the existing pouch. She sells variety packs of them for $1 each on her website. You may be able to get something a bit more specialized.

dmp

Candy gives out individual foil pack samplers at comps and such where all you do is poke holes in the existing pouch. She sells variety packs of them for $1 each on her website. You may be able to get something a bit more specialized.
dmp

Website please :becky:

Sorry, I guess I forgot that part: http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/ It's probably more economical to buy the 1 lb bags though comparing $0.40/cook to $1.00/cook, though foil and time cost something. Cooking pellets sells a 3 lb bag of perfect mix for $5, and may sell specific species for a little more.

dmp

EDIT: "Cooking Pellets" is www.cookingpellets.com

With a Lg. BGE I've had good luck with foil packs under the plate setter using BBQrs Delight. The smoke comes up and around the plate setter. The first time I tried it, I set the foil pack on top of the plate setter, and my ribs were really, REALLY dark in the center of the rack...don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks, all. I really don't know why I didn't think of this before. I've been sliding a foil pack of chips under the coal bed, but that's a pain in the butt to get just right.

Never thought of using pellets either Arlin! Great idea.

Back