MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:47 AM   #16
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mike View Post
My plan WAS, and may still be but looking for some feedback from those with the experience to speak knowledgeably on it, to install the aluminum flat stock mod for the lid. Seal that along the bottom edge with high temp RTV. Install rope gasket with RTV around the top to help seal the lid even better and also possibly add a couple of hook latches to hold it down snug. Lastly add some additional exhaust ports to the lid beyond just the daisy wheel. I wanted to go the way of the kettle lid for the extra space up top.
A Weber lid pinwheel flows more than a knock off lid's pinwheel. Weber are more towards the top/center than the knock offs which typically are off to one side.
In colder weather, I could not get to 300* with lots of meat loaded using a knock off dome lid and it's pinwheel.
You do not need to do all that sealing with RTV and rope seal. If your sealing surfaces are flat/level. The drum/lid will seal up fine after a few cooks.
As far as efficiency, I found no difference between my flat lid and my dome lid. And the folded/pop riveted welding blanket was of NO added benefit for heat retention.
Decide how/what you want your drum to be able to cook at. Then figure out what you will need for intake and exhaust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg both drums.jpg (40.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg both uds.jpg (61.1 KB, 78 views)
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #17
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

if you have the donor kettle you can trim the bottom part of the kettle to sit in your uds rather than try the strip of aluminum. That way you know it will fit the lid without issue. I can send a photo of the one I made at work.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #18
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #19
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

The holes in the side are for hanging like the pit barrel. I used a magnet to cover the hole when not in use.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

On the stainless drum you can see it is running between 275 & 300.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:41 AM   #21
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I purchased a SS drum from bubbas barrels and cut the top off. It was not a removable lid style, and the Weber lid fit as perfect as it does on the grill. Smoke came out around the lid the first hour or so, then has not leaked since. I’ve done 2 pork butts in December and just done a Turkey last week. I did get a BBQ guru for it and the temps are spot on. The butts I did at 275 and the turkey at 300 (spatchcocked). Best turkey I’ve ever done. I also made an adjustable rack system so I wasn’t stuck with the solid placement of just bolts.

Peoria Custom Cooker, Brinkman Smokin Pit,
Webber 22 1/2" Kettle,Smokin-it #3,Smoky Joe,Orange super fast Thermapen ,Awesome Brethren Mini, 18.5" WSM, Blackstone Pizza oven, Weber Genesis Premium Grill, Blackstone 36" stainless steel griddle, Stainless UDS
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2019, 12:08 AM   #22
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

So I gotta throw my $.02 in here. I think the best plan is to use the kettle bottom as the lid. I have built four and used this method each time. There are several benefits; It's taller-allowing more food-like a turkey. It's shape promotes better air flow. And It's heavier-providing better heat retention. I take the original kettle lid and cut it all the way around about an inch or less from the lip. I leave several tabs which I use to bolt it to the barrel. Then I can set the kettle on as a lid and it seals perfectly. And you don't have to bend a strap to weld to the barrel. I did that on my first one and it was a huge pain.
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote