MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Smoked Cheese Failure?

I smoked cheddar, Swiss and some pepper jack cheese a week ago. Did a “test taste” and it seemed a little strong or maybe even bitter. Kept it on to long - 4 hrs from some Cherry pellets in a smoke tube.

Will the taste mellow or do I pitch it and start over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's supposed to rest for a few weeks.

That said I dont care for smoked cheese as i feel it tastes like an ashtray, even if I buy it from a store. I suggest you buy a small block from the market.....maybe it's not your thing either

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
It's supposed to rest for a few weeks.

That said I dont care for smoked cheese as i feel it tastes like an ashtray, even if I buy it from a store. I suggest you buy a small block from the market.....maybe it's not your thing either

I’ve always like the smoked cheese that I’ve bought. But at least at week 1 mine isn’t so good. Honestly from the time I took it off the smoker it smelled strong.

Maybe limit to 2 hrs in the smoke next time? Go to apple instead of cherry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

I rest mine for a minimum of 2 weeks. The longer the better. And I have never smoked for more than 2 hours also. 4 hours seems like a long time. Compared to the 2 hours I have experienced.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
jsperk
Babbling Farker

I did some last month. I think three hours. Not sure which pellets I used. Could have been comp blend.
The pieces on I slice on the surface, all the way around taste to smokey but the outer part is sliced it taste good.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

I usually smoke cheese using apple pellets and go 3 to 4 hours, then vac seal and put in the fridge for at least 4 weeks before consuming. I find the longer I wait before consuming the more mellow the smoke flavor is. I usually smoke enough cheese at one time to last 4 to 6 months. In fact I am due to smoke a new batch.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
JDM46
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillN View Post
I usually smoke cheese using apple pellets and go 3 to 4 hours, then vac seal and put in the fridge for at least 4 weeks before consuming. I find the longer I wait before consuming the more mellow the smoke flavor is. I usually smoke enough cheese at one time to last 4 to 6 months. In fact I am due to smoke a new batch.
Sound advice. Method works great for me..Let cheese come to room temp. befoer smoking

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #8
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I think my cold smoking this weekend was a failure, too. Last time I ran comp blend pellets for 4 hours, and couldn't ever taste smoke on them.

This time I ran hickory pellets for 4 hours, and it smells insane. I also saw a few of the chunks were sweating, and a few even melted a bit. It was 2* outside when I was doing this, but I did have a welding blanket over the top of the smoker. I guess I'll wait 2 weeks and find out of I made a 16 blocks of cheese mistake.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 04:06 AM   #9
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

If after the multi-week wait, you still find it too strong, do not trash it. Find some recipes calling for grated cheese(s) and mix it 50/50 (more or less, find your sweet spot) with un-smoked. Mac&cheese, omelets, fondue ...
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 AM   #10
IamMadMan

The type of wood or pellets you are using will also affect how much smoke flavor is added to the cheese. Apple, cherry, oak, alder, pecan, or other mild flavored wood will create ample smoke. You want just a very small amount of smoke to wisp over the cheese not a thick billowing smoke. I personally find that hickory and mesquite can be a little strong for smoking cheese, but I am sure that maybe a little less exposure to that type smoke might make a suitable finished product. Again this is my personal preference and opinion. The length of smoking time can vary on the smoker size, and the size of the cheese blocks.

When smoking softer cheeses, they will require much less smoke than the harder cheeses listed above. Be very careful very when using gouda, cream cheese, and other soft cheeses, they will probably only need 30 45 minutes of smoke. Too much smoke on any cheese will create a very bad taste. I would also even suggest using a milder wood like Alder when smoking delicately flavored cheeses. Again the idea is to compliment the mild flavor of the cheese, not to overpower it with smoke flavor.

Smoking and resting times required for a good flavor balance is a skill you will learn as you cold smoke cheese as well as many other foods. Learning to calculate smoking and resting times required for a good flavor is a skill you will learn as you cold smoke cheese.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #11
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
The type of wood or pellets you are using will also affect how much smoke flavor is added to the cheese. Apple, cherry, oak, alder, pecan, or other mild flavored wood will create ample smoke. You want just a very small amount of smoke to wisp over the cheese not a thick billowing smoke. I personally find that hickory and mesquite can be a little strong for smoking cheese, but I am sure that maybe a little less exposure to that type smoke might make a suitable finished product. Again this is my personal preference and opinion. The length of smoking time can vary on the smoker size, and the size of the cheese blocks.

When smoking softer cheeses, they will require much less smoke than the harder cheeses listed above. Be very careful very when using gouda, cream cheese, and other soft cheeses, they will probably only need 30 45 minutes of smoke. Too much smoke on any cheese will create a very bad taste. I would also even suggest using a milder wood like Alder when smoking delicately flavored cheeses. Again the idea is to compliment the mild flavor of the cheese, not to overpower it with smoke flavor.

Smoking and resting times required for a good flavor balance is a skill you will learn as you cold smoke cheese as well as many other foods. Learning to calculate smoking and resting times required for a good flavor is a skill you will learn as you cold smoke cheese.

Good info. I bought an Amazen Tube and Amazen Maze from Owens BBQ during Black Friday sale. Took my order, took my money, but unfortunately the maze was sold out and they cheerfully refunded my money. I really wanted the maze for sawdust and figured at the discounted price I'd try the tube. Do you have any experience using sawdust versus pellets? Preference?

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 AM   #12
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Good info. I bought an Amazen Tube and Amazen Maze from Owens BBQ during Black Friday sale. Took my order, took my money, but unfortunately the maze was sold out and they cheerfully refunded my money. I really wanted the maze for sawdust and figured at the discounted price I'd try the tube. Do you have any experience using sawdust versus pellets? Preference?

Thanks,

Robert

I used sawdust many years ago when I had a "Big Chief" smoker for small batches of fish.

Today, I use pellets in my maze simply because they are much more readily available as well as cheaper than sawdust. I haven't used sawdust in such a long time that I cannot honestly tell you if there is a difference in flavor between the two. However I am satisfied with the smoke flavoring from the pellets in the maze.

I have also mixed chips and pellets together on occasion, simply because plum, peach, and pear pellets are not available. The pellets create the controlled burn, not allowing the wood chips to quickly burn away.

You can also lay thin slices of apple, onion, or small sprigs of herbs on top of the pellets to impart additional flavors on to the cheese.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #13
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Those smoke tubes excel at creating creosote. Likely that's what you're tasting.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #14
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I have used both sawdust (I have a wood lathe, I manufacture sawdust ) and pellets in the maze. The sawdust burns up a lot quicker. As for flavor I just can't say, there is too much variation between all of the options.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #15
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Wait 4 weeks to eat the cheese? I throw cheese away after its been in the fridge for a month. I also think smoked cheese smells like an ashtray.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote