MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
neloco
Found some matches.

Default New Backwoods Chubby G2 Tips

I purchased a Chubby G2 from CL a few weeks ago. I did a test run empty but now I want to really cook. Any helpful tips from users would be most appreciated!! I also have an IQ110 adaptor for it to try so any ATC help would be great.. It seemed to run similar to my WSM on my test run. Thanks for the help. Jon
neloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
toddu
Knows what a fatty is.

What are you looking for? I had a Party G2, pretty much set and forget. Light just the front corner, try wrapping the water pan to ease cleanup.

Todd
toddu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
neloco
Found some matches.

Thanks Todd. What you said is good. Do I need to leave the chimney 100% open or use it to adjust temps with the side vents. Jon

Old 12-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
toddu
Knows what a fatty is.

Chimney 100% open, back vent shut, control temp with right vent (the corner where you dump your light charcoal). I had a bbq guru from another smoker but ran the Backwoods for a couple years with no temp controller.

Todd
toddu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Nice find! Rarely see smokers like that used in the North West. Post some pics of your first cook.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
neloco
Found some matches.

Rare CL find in Colorado. It was basically new. I have 3 offsets but wood is so expensive in Denver I thought I would try the backwoods. WSM is great except in the cold/wind. Great vent advice Todd.. glad to hear that you didn’t need the ATC.

Jon

Old 12-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

I hear you on the cost of wood. I bought an Oklahoma Joe offset to see if I wanted to get a nicer one. The cost of smoking wood here is absurd. It's sitting in the garage unused. I actually just put in on Craigslist a few weeks ago. Will probably invest in a cabinet at some point.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote