MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
aks801
is One Chatty Farker

Default Upcoming Friday smoke!

I am taking this Friday off from work for the express purpose of smoking brisket! It's nice having priorities lined up properly. The following two weeks will be crazy at work, then the week of Christmas the fam is taking a road trip to Colorado, so it was pretty much now or never.

Got a 14# prime packer last weekend at $2.99/#, and it is calling my name. We are getting a super frigid arctic blast here in Houston, with temps in the 40's: brr!!!!!!!!! Anyway, that makes for some good smokin' weather with a nice cup of hot coffee in hand.

I'll be using my WSM, and running Weber briquettes for the first time. Just picked up some nice Oak chunks at Academy so will mix in a few of those. Rub will be SPOG, with maybe a couple of additions.

A daughter has a choir performance that evening at 7:00, so I want to eat by around 5:30. Sooo...... planning on getting up at 0-dark-thirty and putting the trimmed and seasoned packer into the smoke by about 5:30. I'll be cooking at around 280 (that is where my WSM seems to want to run) so this should allow me to pull it by around 2:00, let it vent then wrap it up and put in the Igloo for a few hours.

Can you tell I am excited??!!
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Sounds like a solid plan. My little 7LB prime took 7 hours but I put it on when it was still a little Frozen in the middle. Don't get so excited that you forget the pics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
aks801
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
... Don't get so excited that you forget the pics....
No chance of that, brother!

BREAKING NEWS: this smoke has been moved to Sunday. Don't want to be rushed. Will put it on about 6:30 (along with fatties for later breakfast), then head out for Sunday School at about 9:15, back around 10:45 to check on things.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Man sure makes me happy to know I'm not the only weirdo that gets excited about cooking food. In just a few minutes I'm getting ready to start grinding and making summer sausages.. I almost couldn't sleep last night I was so excited to get my day started HAHA.

Good luck with your cook :) Have a good weekend

Old 12-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
SMetroHawkeye
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Hawkeye

Aw man!?!? I had just seen the case of pork butts that MadMan had seasoned up and was ready to rock n roll a Boston Butt for the weekend, but a full packer brisket in the WSM sounds even better!

I love the set back calendar and timing your cook - it’s all tons of fun! My WSM likes to run a little warm, too. But I’ve got snow and cold winds tomorrow and Saturday... keeping it warm is the goal! Looking forward to pix of the feast!
SMetroHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
EdLo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
Man sure makes me happy to know I'm not the only weirdo that gets excited about cooking food. In just a few minutes I'm getting ready to start grinding and making summer sausages.. I almost couldn't sleep last night I was so excited to get my day started HAHA.

Good luck with your cook :) Have a good weekend
Shoot, I think we are weirdos then.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks801 View Post
I am taking this Friday off from work for the express purpose of smoking brisket! It's nice having priorities lined up properly. The following two weeks will be crazy at work, then the week of Christmas the fam is taking a road trip to Colorado, so it was pretty much now or never.

Got a 14# prime packer last weekend at $2.99/#, and it is calling my name. We are getting a super frigid arctic blast here in Houston, with temps in the 40's: brr!!!!!!!!! Anyway, that makes for some good smokin' weather with a nice cup of irish coffee in hand.
fixed that for ya

[B]WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
[/B]
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
aks801
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz50 View Post
fixed that for ya
Thanks for having my back, bonz.

If I had kept with my original schedule, I would have been prepped the WSM last night and had it sitting out on my driveway ready to go. That means this morning it would have had 2" of snow on the dome: crazy! We get snow about every 8-10 years here in Houston, so today has been a blast so far. Since I had already lined up my PTO, I am calling this my snow day! Ok, we get a little goofy about it down here y'all.

What I will do is get the rest of what I will need. Need to make a new batch of SPOG, get some sausage plus get what I need for ABTs. Also, my brisket carving knife will barely cut butter: either I grab a new cheapo knife today or get a whetstone at Lowe's and sharpen that sucker up. Basically, some legit goofing off.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
aks801
is One Chatty Farker

Speaking of fun: just whipped up a batch of rub for tomorrow's smoke. I am calling this Stout #1 Brisket Rub because, well, it's the first mix I have made beyond a basic SPOG.

3/4 cup coarse black pepper
1/2 cup Kosher sea salt
2 tblspn onion powder
1 1/2 tblspn garlic powder
2 tblspn turbinado sugar
1/2 tblspn cayenne pepper

This batch fit perfectly into a medium sized shake container of parsley flakes that were rather ancient anyway, so off they went.

Oh, and yesterday I picked up a Smith's adjustable angle pull-thru knife sharpener at Lowe's and had fun sharpening up various kitchen knives, including my designated brisket knife. Seems much improved.

Things really reaching a fever-pitch over here, yep.