Teal,

An easier way and even more precise is just adding a split lock washer. I added one and haven't looked back. Adjusts to any increment effortlessly.

best few pennies I spent. :-D

Well that's a mod I'm doing. We can get some pretty hot and humid summers here in STL, but then can be 40F in December and bone dry. I do have to adjust my cap a little based on weather.

Well that's a mod I'm doing. We can get some pretty hot and humid summers here in STL, but then can be 40F in December and bone dry. I do have to adjust my cap a little based on weather.

Absolutely agree. Literally pennies and it avoids the vent cover from "dangling" mid-cook. :mad2: I play with my intake quite often depending the cook so this helps significantly.

Teal,

An easier way and even more precise is just adding a split lock washer. I added one and haven't looked back. Adjusts to any increment effortlessly.

Can you post a pic on the PBC. Thanks.

Do you put that on inside the barrel and then the stock nut over it? I am not very handy, probably a dumb question. I am going to do that ASAP. Side note has anyone put a ball valve on the bottom?
Teal,

Can you post a pic on the PBC. Thanks.

What I'll do for the brethren. :becky:

Do you put that on inside the barrel and then the stock nut over it? I am not very handy, probably a dumb question. I am going to do that ASAP. Side note has anyone put a ball valve on the bottom?

Not dumb questions and from the sounds of it you're pretty handy since you're exactly right. :thumb:

Here's a pic and excuse all the "patina" that makes it a little difficult to see.

rSuznBKh.jpg

How's did it take 400 pages for you to show us that mod?

And why did you stucco the inside of your PBC?

Actually, it's kind of surprising that it doesn't come with a lock washer. They are pretty standard when a bolt and nut are used. They are used to prevent the shifting that has been referred to.

How's did it take 400 pages for you to show us that mod?

And why did you stucco the inside of your PBC?

:becky: I only did the mod a couple months back. It wasn't until during a bbq my old man, apparently silently looking at me messing with the vent cover, suggested to just put a split lock washer. Oh!!:idea:

The stucco is my PBC's stripes. :becky: It's been through a lot.

qlJF3aFh.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, it's kind of surprising that it doesn't come with a lock washer. They are pretty standard when a bolt and nut are used. They are used to prevent the shifting that has been referred to.

The PBC doesn't really need it dads. Most PBC owners set the vent according to their elevation and they're done. Especially after some grease build up it won't go anywhere. I, on the other hand, fuss with mine almost every cook because I like to push the envelope with my PBC.

Sure enough. Still 299 on the Pit Barrel site but discounted on Amazon. If you're on the fence pull the trigger now. First discount I've seen in a while.

This. Pull the trigger. It has been the latest version 2 years now.

Lump would make it run hotter but based on everything you've said I think your vent cap (intake) is just a tad too closed. Open it up a little and see what happens.

Ill give it a shot and will let you know! Thanks for the tips. Going to try a big hunk o' sirloin this weekend for slicing.

This. Pull the trigger. It has been the latest version 2 years now.

I was hoping to post this month that this thread is the reason I finally decided to buy a PBC... Well, it is! But this sale did not hurt one bit!

Thanks so much for all the info in this thread, I'll hopefully be posting some first cook pics next week!!

I was hoping to post this month that this thread is the reason I finally decided to buy a PBC... Well, it is! But this sale did not hurt one bit!

Thanks so much for all the info in this thread, I'll hopefully be posting some first cook pics next week!!

Looking forward to it Servo! Welcome to the PBC family!

I just went to Amazon and see the PBC is now listed at $391.09 and is available from these sellers:

Outdoor/Grills
BBQ/Smoker/Grill/Grilling/Backyard/cooking/fun/portable/tailgating
Charcoal Grill
Outdoor Cooker

I wonder if the Pit Barrel Cooker Company is no longer selling direct thru Amazon and Amazon discounted the price to clear out their inventory. The other day I saw they were selling it for $284 and thought that it was odd.

You're in for a real treat. The PBC works. Make that first cook memorable

I just went to Amazon and see the PBC is now listed at $391.09 and is available from these sellers:

Outdoor/Grills
BBQ/Smoker/Grill/Grilling/Backyard/cooking/fun/portable/tailgating
Charcoal Grill
Outdoor Cooker

I wonder if the Pit Barrel Cooker Company is no longer selling direct thru Amazon and Amazon discounted the price to clear out their inventory. The other day I saw they were selling it for $284 and thought that it was odd.

That would make sense since I've read on here that it's better for Noah to buy direct as opposed through Amazon.

It sells at the same price but I'm sure he takes a haircut on it. Amazon is going to get you more eyeballs but I wonder how many people would just buy one off Amazon based on Amazon reviews v. the WSM at the same price, thousands of reviews and the Weber name.

Seems like if you are buying a PBC, you're doing some research first which will invariably take you to the official site.

Back