• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Naked Fatty on a refurbished Backwoods Competitor

chefman316

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We fired up our refurbished Backwoods Competitor for the first time! We used a ThermoWorks BlueTherm Duo to record two data points on the inside (higher rack at 229°F and lower rack at 219°F) with the side vents cracked open a little under an inch, along with the top vent opened about 1/2 and it held perfect. Then we turned on the convection fan and it rolled to 226°F top and bottom!

Our auto water filler also worked like a charm.

picture.php

Steve Q also had some spare countertop from his parents, and he installed it on the side for a landing zone. The other side is two burners with a propane connector.

Finally, we at least wanted to cook something, so a naked fatty did the trick.

picture.php

And we actually used Rec Tec's Colden's Scream'n Pig Rub which was pretty tasty...

Naked fatties rock! :rockon:

BTW, if the competitor is anything like my old Party, the top rack does a great job on chickens! You get radiant heat from the roof of the cook chamber that helps with the skin. I used to do spatchcocked birds on the top rack and they were great!

Naked fatties rock! :rockon:

BTW, if the competitor is anything like my old Party, the top rack does a great job on chickens! You get radiant heat from the roof of the cook chamber that helps with the skin. I used to do spatchcocked birds on the top rack and they were great!

Excellent point! We are debating if we should use the convection fan for even temp, or to capitalize on have different temps throughout.

Great setup. Looks like it will get the job done.

Looks like a fun project with very nice results.

Cheez said it: That's a great setup!

Back