Pork Cushions

tongatim

Found some matches.
Pork cushion is often very inexpensive at the local Smart Foodservices (Cash and Carry) so I've played around with it on a few occasions recently in lieu of my usual pork butt cook.

I find it delicious if smoked to about 160º and then sliced. I prep it the same as a pork butt, going a little lighter on the salt in the rub because of its smaller size, and cook the same as I would a butt at 250º on my Humphrey's Battle Box.

When I've treated this cut like a butt and taken it to 200-205º internal so that I could pull it, I found it drier than the butt, and less to my liking. However taken to 160-165º and then sliced thick like a chop, it is scrumptious, with just the right balance of fat and lean, and perfectly smoky. It comes in 2-4 lb roasts, so when finished, is a great size to vacuum seal and freeze for later. It takes well to freezing/thawing/reheating/slicing.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t know what a pork cushion was, so I had to look it up. I’m interested to try it and will have to keep an eye out to give it a shot.

Looks like it might be a good cut to do a buckboard cure on and then slice for sandwiches.

One of my buddies uses pork cushion meat when making andouille because it is more lean than the butt.

Robert

I haven't seen pork cushion meat around here in forever. It used to be common, and cheap, and I used it. Now, I can't find it.

Back