Big Green Egg, Primo, Kamado Joe, and Akorn JR pork butt

It's funny what ticks ones senses. I don't really care about the wheels, replacement wheels are cheap. But that propane ignition system just looks ugly. Plus, based on my reading, for a low temp cook, it can't even be used.
So, for me, I look at it and think, "That's another air leak to cause temperature regulation issues".
I know of no other komado cooker that has an propane igniter, what were they thinking?

I'd like to find a cheap used one and fabricate a plate to seal the air leak. Then I can play.:-D

Lol. Yeah I almost never use the the starter. It would probably bug me more if I used it more.

Interesting! I do not have a kamado, but my dad-in-law does and he uses briquettes and just straight in, with no kick ash basket. It seems to work well for him although I thought he was wrong when I first found out because I thought you had to use lump in those to run well. Thanks for the insight!

I think the physical shape of the individual cooker makes a big difference. I used to have a extra large big green egg and because it was rather short and wide I think you could go forever with briquette charcoal. In contrast my medium really had an issue.

Lol. Yeah I almost never use the the starter. It would probably bug me more if I used it more.

They needed to use a larger burner on the starter. It would barely light the charcoal anytime I tried. And it would definitely take ages to get the grill up to high temps.

On another note I swung by Lowe’s and they have a kamado joe classic 20 percent off. I’d be 662 otd. I’m really wanting a Pitts and spitts pellet to replace my Memphis and a hasty bake to replace my wscg I just sold. But I do miss my green egg.

I guess I was looking at the stand-a-lone. It hides better under the table.

shopping

They needed to use a larger burner on the starter. It would barely light the charcoal anytime I tried. And it would definitely take ages to get the grill up to high temps.

On another note I swung by Lowe’s and they have a kamado joe classic 20 percent off. I’d be 662 otd. I’m really wanting a Pitts and spitts pellet to replace my Memphis and a hasty bake to replace my wscg I just sold. But I do miss my green egg.

What made you decide to get rid of the Memphis? That sounds like a good deal on the classic. The Hasty Bakes have always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who actually uses theirs on a regular basis. They all tell me how great they are built and then when I say "how often do you use it?" and they say "oh, last time I fired it up was 6 months ago. lol I'm sure it's probably a coincidence but it's funny how they all say the same thing. They seem really nice.

What made you decide to get rid of the Memphis? That sounds like a good deal on the classic. The Hasty Bakes have always intrigued me, but I don't know anyone who actually uses theirs on a regular basis. They all tell me how great they are built and then when I say "how often do you use it?" and they say "oh, last time I fired it up was 6 months ago. lol I'm sure it's probably a coincidence but it's funny how they all say the same thing. They seem really nice.

I still have it for sale on here. I do like it but too small for my needs. And my wife wants a larger cooker as well after getting rid of the rectec.

And I’m almost like you where I always switch out cookers. I’m in Tulsa where there are a ton of people with hasty bakes. Also an amazing bbq joint solely cooks on the HB. I want to see some videos of you cooking on one for sure. You should make a road trip to Tulsa and I’ll buy you some ribs. I may be down in the Dallas area in March if you need a guest helper. :grin:

I still have it for sale on here. I do like it but too small for my needs. And my wife wants a larger cooker as well after getting rid of the rectec.

And I’m almost like you where I always switch out cookers. I’m in Tulsa where there are a ton of people with hasty bakes. Also an amazing bbq joint solely cooks on the HB. I want to see some videos of you cooking on one for sure. You should make a road trip to Tulsa and I’ll buy you some ribs. I may be down in the Dallas area in March if you need a guest helper. :grin:

The irony is I was supposed to go to Tulsa yesterday but I've got a nasty cold and the trip got cancelled. lol

Well go to burnco for lunch or the Jenks one for dinner. Hit up the hasty bake store as well.

Noted. Unfortunately I won’t be going tomorrow which is pretty much my last chance to go for this trip. I officially have bronchitis. Yuck

Back