MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
1Gradymaci
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jerry Adams
Default Butcher Block Suggestion

What size and Brand BB do you prefer..Thanks
1Gradymaci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

As in a freestanding butcher block or more like butcher block cutting board?

I have 4" Boos end grain cutting board that I've had 5+ years that I've really enjoyed. I know they also make butcher blocks.

You might also check Craigslist/Marketplace for a true butcher block. You can usually find a really good deal on one as people run out of space or get tired of storing one. Pretty easy to bring back to original condition if it hasn't been abused. I've bought and sold butcher blocks 2nd hand. You can find some good deals if you're patient.
WeberWho is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberWho View Post

You might also check Craigslist/Marketplace for a true butcher block. You can usually find a really good deal on one as people run out of space or get tired of storing one. Pretty easy to bring back to original condition if it hasn't been abused. I've bought and sold butcher blocks 2nd hand. You can find some good deals if you're patient.
I bought my Bally butcher block off Craigslist a couple years back for a very good price. I had a search alert setup for years before it finally paid off for me. I bought it from the original owner that purchased it in NYC 4 decades ago. I'm not sure if Craigslist is still one of the more frequently used buy/sell platforms but I do see used butcher blocks for sale from time to time, if you're patient I'm sure you'll snag one eventually.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
1Gradymaci

Butcher Block cutting board is what I meant to say,,Im looking for New . Here where I live you never know where the BB has been, One couple bought one and placed it in there Bedroom and they now have 4 set's of twins :) So Craigslist is out, and I don't do Facebook..Thanks

Old 07-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

You might consider sending Wire-it-up a PM. He makes some stellar cutting boards.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

I did not have a positive experience with Boos. Ended up with a couple of Wood Welded chopping blocks and have been happy with them. The 15"x15"x2" stays on the counter and the 15"x20"x3.5" comes out for large jobs. I bought the big one as blemished (new, unused direct from the manufacturer) on eBay, but they were out so they sent me an unblemished one. Bought both of them in early 2017. I use Emmet's Elixir wood conditioner.
https://woodweldedwest.com/collectio...-block-2-thick

https://woodweldedwest.com/collectio...=6263410360348

https://woodweldedwest.com/collectio...=6264938790940

I also use San Jamar Saf-T-Grip commercial nonslip mats (I cut down a larger mat to fit under the 15"x15" cutting board): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MSCKM

No bamboo. I do have a 15"x20"x1" commercial plastic cutting board from Restaurant Depot that gets sanded or replaced when the surface gets too many cuts. I run it through the sanitation cycle in the dishwasher after use.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

I'm not a fan of wooden cutting boards. Some look great, but I would rather not deal with the clean up, maintenance, etc. I worked as a Butcher in HS.....way back when Wood Butcher Blocks were still OK, and the last thing we did every night was scrape the Block with a very coarse brush that removed all the "stuff" that accumulated during a days work by scraping off the top surface of the Block. There were grooves in the block from all that scraping. We'd rub it down with Mineral Oil every few days. That's really the only way to clean a wooden block.

I use polymer board of various sizes. For the final carving of Ribs, etc. before serving, I have something similar to this:https://www.amazon.com/Winco-CBWT-18...-garden&sr=1-9 It is REALLY big and has a drip groove all round. Slabs of Ribs, Brisket, etc. fit just fine. Easy to wash and I will bleach if needed.

Last edited by cdhbrad; 07-30-2021 at 10:12 AM..
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
1Gradymaci

Thanks for the feedback, I think I might go Poly this time around..

Old 07-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

Here's an example of the brush I mentioned: https://www.meatprocessingproducts.c...nt=Catch%20All Literally scraped off the top surface of that old block every night. Removed all the cut marks too. Don't think you want to do this with a regular wood cutting board.
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #10
ferdelious

Name/Nickname : Matt

I just bought a Boos Block 24"x18"x1.5" on Amazon for $100. It required some extra sanding but I love it.