MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Reheating

So I wanted to run this by you folks...

Is it me or does leftover BBQ that has been reheated seem way smokier then when you first took it off the grill?

I'm talking about after you've eaten your fill and put the leftovers in the fridge in aluminum foil or something. The next day after re-heating it in the microwave or whatever it tastes just way smokier and really no very good at all.

How do you guys reheat? Especially you pro's?

I feel like reheating is really an essential element here because so many items (turkey, brisket, ham, shoulder, etc) yield way more servings then I need. Does that mean I have to restrict my BBQ regimen to burgers and dogs until I have a party? No way. The un-smoked life is not worth living!

So I ask you...how do I do this so the food tastes off the grill yummy even after being frozen/refrigerated?

I have seen mention of freezing in some type of special bags and then boiling to reheat? What kind of hardware do I need to make that happen and is the reheated food quality worth the investment?

An answer to this dilemma would be huge because I feel I throw away way too much.
volkanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Vacuum seal and reheat in boiling water.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
CROSSCZEK
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanator View Post
So I wanted to run this by you folks...

Is it me or does leftover BBQ that has been reheated seem way smokier then when you first took it off the grill?
I think it's because you kind of get saturated in smoke while smoking. By the time you go back and reheat some Q, you've had a chance to clear your senses, and your tasting what everybody else tasted the day of.

That's my opinion anyway, worth price charged.

-scott

[I]Custom built 8' long, 36" dia reverse flow stick burner (The Green Monster)[/I],[I]250 gallon tank grill[/I]
[I]Jenn-Air Gasser[/I], UDS Finally done!
[I]Proud father of two.[/I]
[I]Member GLBBQA[/I]
[I]CBJ# 55381[/I]
CROSSCZEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROSSCZEK View Post
I think it's because you kind of get saturated in smoke while smoking. By the time you go back and reheat some Q, you've had a chance to clear your senses, and your tasting what everybody else tasted the day of.

That's my opinion anyway, worth price charged.

-scott
I'll agree with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Vacuum seal and reheat in boiling water.
Ditto!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
MJHuffDaddy
On the road to being a farker

I tend to agree with the above comments; the smoke can dull your sense of it... I expect my house will smell quite delicious after working at the office all day today...
MJHuffDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Agree with others above on all counts. You get "desensitized" to the smell of smoke when you spend all day in it. Think about the first time you walk into a room with a peculiar smell. Eventually you can't smell it at all. I believe the same thing happens with smoke.
I'm actually the opposite of you though, I think smoked food tastes better for me later on after I've re-heated it and I haven't been exposed to smoke all day.

And also, vacuum sealing and reheating in water is the way to go. I've even taken que that's in the fridge and vacuum sealed it just for re-heating because it really seals in the flavor and keeps the meat from drying out. Ruins bark though, but small price to pay.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
BSea
Knows what a fatty is.

All I know is my fridge smells better the next day. I'm going to have to try the sealed sealed bag & boiling.
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, what ^^^^^ they all said. When I cook, I can't smell or taste the smokiness that day but the next day it really is good! Get yourself a good vacu-sucker like Food-saver & stop wasting your goodies.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote