An education about meat processing

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I recently made the "mistake" of watching Food, Inc. Most of you don't want to watch this documentary about the food industry, but it was very eye opening for me. Because of it, I'm making a transition away from factory raised and processed meats and toward independently raised meat.

I rarely get my butts in cryovac, but they stink when I do. Yesterday, I opened some butts that just about knocked me over. I've done some research about cryostink and it's normal, but also very subjective. The question is, how do you know when it's bad?

Some of you will toss any meat that smells, others will recognize that there will be a smell when you open a cryo. I decided to call Bryan Flannery, an amazing SF Bay Area butcher who knows more about meat than anyone that I've met.

I asked him several questions and here is what I learned.

1. Is meat in cryovac supposed to stink?

It always will to some degree, but should not be overbearing and should dissipate after some exposure. Cryovac meat should be completely sealed, but is sometimes compromised; about 1 out of 15 packs is compromised. The plastic should be completely pressed against the meat with no air penetration. If there is air, the meat could be bad, or on it's way to bad.

The smell is gas from the natural enzymes breaking down the meat. This is very similar to dry aging, but the gasses are trapped in the cryovac and can emit an odor, especially if there is oxygen in the pack.

Bryan says that bringing the meat to 200 will kill the bugs, but bad meat will have an off taste after being cooked. He would not sell meat with an overbearing smell, but that smell is very subjective depending on who you ask.

2. I buy $4/lb butt from Lunardi's, $3.50/lb from Draeger's and $2.20 from Costco. It's all either IBP or Swift. Is there a difference between the IBP that Lunardi's is getting and what Costco is getting?

No, all factory processed meat is exactly the same. IBP isn't going to give Lunardi's a better butt than Costco.

3. Is it possible to buy meat that isn't factory raised?

The issue here isn't about whether it's factory raised, but that it's factory processed. There are some really good ranchers out there doing some really good things with their livestock, but they have no choice in many cases but to send it to IBP. That meat can then no longer be distinguished from other cows.

There are some independent farms that will sell non-factory processed meat, but it's not common anymore.

--

This was a very educational conversation. I'm sure there are categories within IBP, certainly when it comes to grade, and probably for different breeds of pork and cattle, but within those categories, it's all the same. That has me confident that the speciality markets in my area offer a product no better than what a warehouse store offers, but at more than twice the price.

As for stinky meat, it's normal to a certain extent. I have never opened a cryovac of butt and not smelled something bad. To what degree that stink matters remains very subjective.

Just thought I'd share.

Dave

Thanks for the great info Dave.
I bake and boil around 8 cases of chicken every month in the winter time for our local park.
We get our chicken cut up into pieces. The bags are sealed and we use a knife to open the bags.
Sometimes we get a strong odor like we have bad chicken. We get it delivered to us from a restraunt distributor in a refrigerated truck.
The dates on the boxes were within packing plant expiriation dates.

I called my chef buddy, he tells me that they pack the chicken in bags and add nitrogen gas to displace the air before the bags are heat sealed.
After we took the chicken out of the bags it smelled like normal chicken.
I made mention to him I also bought some ground beef in a white plastic tub with a clear plastic cover.
He said the same thing about processors adding nitrogen gas. It stinks when you open the package but the smell goes away, burger looks and smells just fine.
I now purchase my burger in white styrafoam trays with the heat shrink wrap only.
Thought I would pass this along to everyone.

Dave, If you want to get away from commercial packers try Univ. of Cal,Davis. They have an ag program and sell to the public. They are not under the pressure of making a profit. I but quite often from Chico State. Chico State also supplies the restaurant at Sierra Nevada Brewery, strictly first class.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/facilities/meat.htm

They are about an hour away from you but might be worthwhile.

NUTZ

Thanks for the information. I have noticed the smell in cryovac and reluctantly cooked it anyway and it turned out OK. I am lucky enough that I have a good supplier for locally raised pork. I often cook whole hogs and when I order one the pig is slaughtered the day before I pick it up the next morning. They kill every day and the slaughter house is right across the road from the store. Huge display af any kind of pork you want. No cryovac, all styrofoam trays. I am not as fortunate with beef. I wish I was.

I purchase my Butts from Peoria Packing in Chicago. Here's a photo from the internet:

2900686742_43a146c13f_o.jpg

No cryo there. :shock:

East Texas is home to a lot of factory chicken farms. And, as seen in Food, Inc., the chickens are raised in filth, and they do not live in humane conditions.

I started buying cage-free eggs lately, and the price is not much more, so it is no big deal. It is hard to find cage-free chickens in the local Kroger in the burbs. I definitely try to buy grass-fed beef, and avoid beef that was fattened up in a feed lot.

There is an open range cattle ranch about 300 yards North of my house. That's how cattle should be raised. But feed lots are more profitable. I've seen several feed lots in Texas, and have smelled several feed lots in Texas. There is absolutely zero smell coming from the ranch 300 yards from my house, but you can smell a feed lot for miles.

CD

Lot of University with a agri program will have meat to sell to the public. I purchase some lamb from University of Ky. i think it was around 2.50 per lb very good. But a person usually have to know someone.

Kevin, it amazes me how much corn subsidies have effected our food chain. Processed foods are full of corn sugars and carbohydrates, we feed corn to cattle, even though they cant properly digest it, and our obesity problem can be significantly tied to our dependence on corn calories.

Yet, we subsidize corn with our taxpayer dollars. Go figure. And, we've been doing it for decades, so there's no one party to blame.

I admit, it is hard to pass up a sale on ribeyes for $4.99 a pound. I love ribeye, and money is tight lately. I end up buying meat I'd rather not buy -- but it's a bargain, so I buy it.

But, when I have a good month, I do buy certified natural, grass-fed Angus beef, and it is AWESOME! And, it is raised right.

CD

I'm a big advocate of homegrow food and the family farm, but as we all know most people will not pay 4buck a pound for a chicken or 6 dollars pork chop. In a perfect world we all would be willing to pay that kind of money , also I think in the coming years lot of countries will be faceing food shortages. Lot of people are not able to raise or buy local grow food, Personally I have enough land to raise whatever I want but don't because it much easier to go and buy it from Kroger or some grocer. I do grow a small grarden and have a few chickens for eggs. Yes I agree factory raise pork and chicken does suck.

I read an interesting article on beef processing today. It's rather long, and I've got the attention span of a gnat, still managed to read the whole article.

http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/power-steer/

Not sure this will change my meat procurement process, but it sure made me think about it.

Kevin,
thanks for the article, very interesting. I recently purchased a 1/2 a beef from local farmer and had it locally processed. Good tasting meat but man thats a lot of beef and chit load of burger. doubt i'll do it again as we really don't eat that much beef. America's love affair with cheap protein ain't ever gonna change.

I was raise on grass feed beef , but i still rather have the grain feed , but free range pork and egg are lot better tasteing. too me. Boat I think you right market prices on hog are the same as they was 20 years ago it amazing how they raise it that cheap.

There is a store near me that carries USDA Prime steaks, and CNAB steaks, and I will occasionally splurge and buy a CNAB Ribeye for $12.99 a pound, and not only am I getting a piece of meat that was fed properly, but it is not shot up with antibiotics and hormones.

But, most importantly, the meat is awesome. For fifteen bucks, I get a steak dinner that would have costed me 75-bucks at a prime steakhouse.

Seriously, I get a one-pound premium steak, a baked potato, and grilled asparagus for about fifteen bucks. And, I don't have to dress up or tip a waiter. And, the bar tab is WAY cheaper at my house.

CD

I do buy certified natural, grass-fed Angus beef, and it is AWESOME! And, it is raised right.

CD

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/642330

"many consumers believe "angus" represents some kind of premium beef, but when it is touted, as in "certified angus beef" it is purely a marketing ploy. Angus are probably the most prolific beef cattle raised in the U.S. Angus in the U.S. is a breed of cow that is derived from Aberdeen Angus, which originated in Scotland. The other distinction of angus cattle is that they do not have horns.

When considering acquiring good beef, I believe it is more useful to focus on the USDA grade assigned, no matter what the breed of cow, and whether or not the cow was grass fed or corn fed. Most beef available for sale in the U.S. is corn fed. If you are willing to pay the money, then grass fed beef that is classified as Prime is what you would strive for."

CAb beef is a selling ploy, they not have to be pure angus, but of course any grass feed will be different from grain feed beef no matter what the breed is.

I That meat can then no longer be distinguished from other cows.

That is not entirely true from what I have read/seen. I believe that most processing plants have to be able to track every part of an animal in case or recalls. From what I remember from the mad cow outbreak a few years back they were able to track the animal back to where it was born.
Kevin,
I recently purchased a 1/2 a beef from local farmer and had it locally processed. Good tasting meat but man thats a lot of beef and chit load of burger. doubt i'll do it again as we really don't eat that much beef. America's love affair with cheap protein ain't ever gonna change.

I do this every two years, and if the processor vacuum seals the product you should have no problems. It is grass fed, raised, and processed all within 50 miles of my house. I also buy pigs and lamb raised locally as part of the 4H program.
Cheers

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/642330

"many consumers believe "angus" represents some kind of premium beef, but when it is touted, as in "certified angus beef" it is purely a marketing ploy. Angus are probably the most prolific beef cattle raised in the U.S. Angus in the U.S. is a breed of cow that is derived from Aberdeen Angus, which originated in Scotland. The other distinction of angus cattle is that they do not have horns.

When considering acquiring good beef, I believe it is more useful to focus on the USDA grade assigned, no matter what the breed of cow, and whether or not the cow was grass fed or corn fed. Most beef available for sale in the U.S. is corn fed. If you are willing to pay the money, then grass fed beef that is classified as Prime is what you would strive for."

BINGO--- i have had plenty of beef both from our angus as well as other breeds and i will tell you that the feeding and butchering is as big or bigger factors in good flavorfull beef as the breed of animal. considering that a dilluted herd of angus cross cattle can still get the CAB stamp, what do people really think they are buying for the extra couple bucks a pound?

Back