MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:48 AM   #31
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I came here to post this. I haven’t had TX bbq in over 3 years and it’s been 7 since Franklin but Hutchins McKinney was in my backyard and I cannot imagine it getting better with John Mueller in the mix.
John may be a lot of things but that old boy can cook!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #32
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstocks53 View Post
This is why I ALWAYS stop at Muellers in Taylor, TX when heading from Austin/San Antonio back home. I LIKE the old school environment. And I still LOVE their brisquet.
Have you tried the Taylor Cafe? Cool old place.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #33
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Louie Mueller's is that perfect combination of great food and history/atmosphere.
Dustin Dorsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #34
theanthonyv
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
Louie Mueller's is that perfect combination of great food and history/atmosphere.
Couldn’t agree more. When all things are considered, LM BBQ probably offers the best overall experience. It’s central TX barbecue ground zero.
theanthonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #35
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

I've not seen anyone mention The Burnt Bean which is listed #4. Ernest Servantes used to tear it up on the competition barbecue circuit, especially in Texas. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, but reports from other competition cooks is that it is definitely legit and competition cooks do not give out compliments casually.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #36
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7las View Post
Who would you put in his place and why?

2M is 10X
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #37
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude9999 View Post
Has Franklin gone downhill, or have the others gotten better than him?
Its not that they went downhill. Others have elevated their game.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #38
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Kreuz is my favorite in that area.

I was happy to see that Dozier's (about 6 miles from me and Fulshear's BBQ joint since 1957) made the top 100. So did Brett's BBQ shop in Katy, which is ~30 min drive from me, but very close to where I used to live before.

Dozier's is terrible.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #39
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat797 View Post
I've never gotten to do the Texas BBQ Vacation, but I was lucky enough to be in Longview and have Bodacious on Mobberly when it was ranked #4 on the list in 2017. Unfortunately the pitmaster left and it isn't the same today. I was there again in July. I can only imagine how good the 'cue is in the other Top 10 joints.........
He's at Franklin's now.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #40
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I've not seen anyone mention The Burnt Bean which is listed #4. Ernest Servantes used to tear it up on the competition barbecue circuit, especially in Texas. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, but reports from other competition cooks is that it is definitely legit and competition cooks do not give out compliments casually.
Burnt Bean is AWESOME and would have been my #1. I filmed a video review two weeks ago if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGR8U9LGGF4
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #41
Eckie
Full Fledged Farker

I was in TX in January 2020 right before all h3ll broke loose. Went to Black's in Austin and was lucky enough to visit Franklin. Wished I could have gone to the other big ones but limited in work trip time. I've had what I personally consider to be better pork here in VA, but Franklin's brisket was unbelievable. Granted, haven't had a lot of "world renowned brisket" in my life like many of you have. But if there's "better than Franklin" brisket (that I had on that Thursday) , all I can say is Holy chit....

I am not into "hip" bbq. I don't want "creative" bbq. Im not a fancy person,, and I don't want fancy bbq. I want good delicious tasty bbq. I feel like I've said enough, and I'm starting to drool on my phone thinking about brisket and beef ribs and the smell of bbq smoke in the air...

Maybe one day I'll get back down there to visit more of the big names, on the list or not.....

Last edited by Eckie; 10-20-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Eckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #42
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post
Burnt Bean is AWESOME and would have been my #1. I filmed a video review two weeks ago if interested.

Mike,

Good video. The food looked really good. I've been around Ernest a few times and find him to have a very funny personality. I wish him great success.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #43
16Adams

Appears Tyler’s BBQ wasn’t hurt. Took my Mother a helluva care package including, soup, stew, chili, brisket, pork, two frozen chili dogs, chicken thighs. Returned to tent via a route passing by Tyler’s, a previous Top 50 now dropped from list best I can tell by scrolling small screen. Not there. Tyler’s parking lot was packed just a few minutes after 11AM. List or not listed time and Tyler’s Texas Barbecue marches on.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:23 AM   #44
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post

Wow, not only eating great BBQ, but listening to great music (Levon H fronting TB)! I could smell the ribs and briskey down here in Kiwi.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #45
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwayfromhome View Post
Wow, not only eating great BBQ, but listening to great music (Levon H fronting TB)! I could smell the ribs and briskey down here in Kiwi.
I had to edit a lot of the video out to avoid copyright strikes! I think I was able to piece together a good video without the lost footage, but had I not been able to I would have still posted the video.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote