MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Escaping California Exploring the South a road Trip

We are looking to find a landing spot to retire. We will be making a series of road trips to see what it is like in other areas of the country we don't know too much about. I find I learn more about an area by just driving around aimlessly visiting various bars restaurants meeting the local and talking to them.

My daughter lives in Tennessee so we will be starting our quest there. Flying into Charlotte, one night there then we will start our quest. We will first make our way towards Knoxville then head north in to southern part Kentucky and loop back down thru Nashville and zig zag our way thru middle Tennessee and finally end up in Chattanooga.

Not really looking for any tourist trap stuff mainly any good places to eat, bbq or otherwise. Any other must see sights along the way would be great.

What do you guys got for me. TIA

Old 07-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

After you leave TN. Detour on down Shreveport way. We can put you up. We will show y'all some good food too.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 07-29-2021 at 08:11 PM..
Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-29-2021, 11:56 PM   #3
gtr

I grew up in Knoxville. Haven't lived there in a long, long time but still go back 1-2x a year to see my folks. Litton's is a really good place to eat - burgers, pies etc. I had a pretty dang good meal at Dead End BBQ a while back. I used to work at Calhoun's on the river by Neyland Stadium - not exactly artisinal BBQ, but a really fun place to be and the food'll do just fine. Great atmosphere for sure. They have other locations too, but that one by the river is pretty great. Haven't been to Wright's Cafeteria in a long time, but I love their catfish, fried okra, tomato & cucumbers & all that kinda thing.

If y'all feel like taking a not-exactly-direct route to Knoxville from Charlotte, you could stop in Bluff City, TN at Ridgewood BBQ. You'd be glad you did, esp. after you get their blue cheese dip & BBQ sammich (they do it a little different there & it's quite good).
I'm sure there's more I can think of, but I'm about thought-out for the day. I'll holler if I think of anything else.

You're going to an absolutely beautiful part of the country, btw. It's about as good as it gets there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
After you leave TN. Detour on down Shreveport way. We can put you up. We will show y'all some good food too.
Thanks Mike but we wont have time to make it that far south this time but when we do I'll be sure to look you up.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
tom b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I grew up in Knoxville. Haven't lived there in a long, long time but still go back 1-2x a year to see my folks. Litton's is a really good place to eat - burgers, pies etc. I had a pretty dang good meal at Dead End BBQ a while back. I used to work at Calhoun's on the river by Neyland Stadium - not exactly artisinal BBQ, but a really fun place to be and the food'll do just fine. Great atmosphere for sure. They have other locations too, but that one by the river is pretty great. Haven't been to Wright's Cafeteria in a long time, but I love their catfish, fried okra, tomato & cucumbers & all that kinda thing.

If y'all feel like taking a not-exactly-direct route to Knoxville from Charlotte, you could stop in Bluff City, TN at Ridgewood BBQ. You'd be glad you did, esp. after you get their blue cheese dip & BBQ sammich (they do it a little different there & it's quite good).
I'm sure there's more I can think of, but I'm about thought-out for the day. I'll holler if I think of anything else.

You're going to an absolutely beautiful part of the country, btw. It's about as good as it gets there.
Thanks Greg, we'll look those up.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Made a similar trip last year, also looking at places to settle in a few years. I did post a thread here for some food:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...49#post4400149

You might also want to take a look at Huntsville. We found the area quite nice and the town/city has some nice things to offer. There also is Big Bob Gibson's nearby in Decatur. Asheville also is nice, although I see the prices of hotels have skyrocketed since last winter when we went through. If you do venture into South Carolina, you should try someplace with the mustard sauce. I would recommend one of the main locations of Maurice's. I think the one in Cayce (West Columbia was the best). Some others just sell and don't cook on site and the product is much worse. Anyway, have fun and post what you find.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

We escaped California and have become Texans since the beginning of the year. Dripping Springs / Driftwood area about 25 miles south west of Austin. Construction is crazy as well as rising home prices. A lot of Austinites moving out of Austin so you can"t blame the growth on any on local. Haven't visited enough places to make any eating recommendations but we love it here. Pleplo love the U.S., the flag, the state, and God. Quite a shock from calif..

If you decide on this area, I have a great realtor. Depends what you want.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #8
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post

Another plus for Ridgewood.

We were traveling through and found it with just a little out of the way drive. Arrived and they were just turning the signs to closed. Explained we were from the coast and would really like to try their Q. They sold us a couple samplers with what they had left for cheap for take out only and it was great. Will go again if I ever get back there.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

I've only tried a few BBQ places in Mid TN, and nothing has blown me away just yet. I really want to make the trek to Helen's that Gore mentioned last year and try the sausage sammich he raved about!

If you're going to be anywhere near Gallatin, and you're in the mood for Mexican, we discovered an amazing Mexican restaurant that has the absolute BEST carne asada and carnitas tacos I've ever had, and I've been to a lot of places having lived in SoCal.

Garcia's Taqueria & Sports Grill
971 Memory Ln Ste 106 Gallatin, TN 37066

A couple of spots worth checking out in Nashville are Hugh Baby's and Steam Boys. Hugh Baby's makes a fine burger(better than In'n'Out IMO) and Steam Boys is a simple noodle and dumpling house. The beef bao and beef noodle soup are simply superb! They serve a very flavorful and very spicy hot chili oil on the side that really wakes up the taste buds.

Steam Boys:

1200 2nd Ave N Nashville, TN 37208(this is one of 3 locations in the area)

Hugh Baby's:
4816 Charlotte Pike Nashville, TN 37209(one of several area locations)

You've got my digits if you'd like to reach out!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #10
Moose

If you'd like a nice and mostly shady walk in the woods, Radnor Lake State Park in Nashville is pretty nice! There's a number of trails, and some good wildlife viewing. I've seen quite a few wild turkey and mule deer there. Do NOT go on the weekends, though. Parking lot is full and it's just super crowded. Weekdays are fine.

https://tnstateparks.com/parks/radnor-lake

Here's a few pics I've taken there:

Old 08-28-2021, 06:15 AM   #11
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Moved from Ramona, just up the hill from you, to Georgia five years ago, other than family and friends no regrets.

Did a North Carolina chopped pork road trip a couple of years ago. Noble Smoke in Charlotte stood out. Ask for a tour of the smoke house.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
SmittyJonz

Hey Moose - How'd you pick Gallatin area?
Old 09-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #13
SmittyJonz

20 acres Not far from Moose........

https://www.landwatch.com/trousdale-.../pid/411128492

15 acres

https://www.landwatch.com/trousdale-.../pid/337892804

Towns Around Johnson City Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6oVZW67Hs

I'm about Ready to Leave this Texas heat and head to Tennessee myself - except I'm stuck here.

Insane Fall Colors Explosion. Autumn Foliage In Tennessee Forests and Waterfalls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE3mCknfSs

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-14-2021 at 12:58 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #14
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Hey Moose - How'd you pick Gallatin area?

We moved to Nashville in December last year with the intention of using Nashville as a landing pad of sorts to check out surrounding areas. I love Nashville, but there's too much congestion and it's only getting worse, among a few other issues.

We checked out a number of areas, like Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, Franklin, Lebanon and others, and found Gallatin had a lot of what we were looking for, and still was close enough to Nashville. We live on a full acre, not much farther than a good stone's throw from a lake. Enjoying it quite a bit, I have to say!
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #15
SmittyJonz

Kid Rock - Tennessee Mountain Top [Official Video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig-9RDH5dZ0