First brisket on the Bull

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As a test for my new recteq I decided to see how it would handle a brisket. I’ve been wanting to make some brisket chili so it was a perfect opportunity to see what this cooker could do. I found an 18 lb prime brisket at Sam’s for $2.66/lb. Awesome price! I got it home trimmed it up, seasoned it with Pit Barrel Cooker Beef and Game seasoning. On a side note no matter what you think about the PBC, you should try that beef and game seasoning. That stuff is awesome! Ok back to the brisket... I put it in the cooker at 10 pm Friday night. The cooker was set to “extreme smoke” which runs at 180*. At about 10am the next morning I bumped the temp up to 250*. Once the bark was where I wanted it I wrapped it in butcher paper and bumped the temp to 275*. After a total of about 15 and a half hours the brisket was at 208* IT and was probing very tender. I pulled it off the cooker, separated the point and flat. I wrapped the flat back in the paper then wrapped it in foil and rested/held the flat in an ice chest for about 3 and a half hours. I cubed up the point, added some seasoning, BBQ sauce, and a little brown sugar and placed them back in the cooker for about 30 min at 250 for some burnt ends.
Overall this was probably the best brisket I’ve ever made and the easiest by far! I don’t give credit for the flavor all to the cooker as I’ve learned a lot from here and my experience/mistakes and I think I’ve got the process down. However, the easiness I give all credit to the cooker. I slept through most of the 15 hour cook. Lol. One last thing, I used Lumber Jack 100% Hickory pellets and got plenty of smoke flavor on the brisket. It’s different than the smoke you get from charcoal and drippings but every bit as good, at least to my tastes. Here are some pics of the cook. Enjoy!

fXFuPPr.jpg

This thing is huge! That’s a 36” cooking grate.
yQUbUrF.jpg

About time to wrap.
DPx4uRh.jpg

Done!
VYEqb25.jpg

Wxpd5U9.jpg

My first ever burnt ends! OMG delicious!
CoEbfiy.jpg

The flat after a 3.5 hour hold.
Jqxh6Ls.jpg

UFKw6Ew.jpg

Good Lord, That Brisket loos absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!
Those Burnt ends look melt in you mouth great!!!
Fantastic cook Andrew, Be proud brother!!

No bull there!

I know the smoke ring doesn't really mean anything but it sure looks cool and that is a great one.

How was the smoke profile for you?

That's how brisket is done. Perfection from the trim to the pic over the knife. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No bull there!

How was the smoke profile for you?

The best way I can describe it, and I have to give credit to Sako for this description, is to say it’s a clean tasting smoke. The smoke is not overpowering but you can definitely tell it’s there. Like I mentioned in my OP, it’s not the same as what I’m use to with my barrel smokers where I use charcoal and wood chunks plus the drippings of the food onto the hot fire all creating an amazing smoke profile. It’s different, cleaner, but definitely great tasting. I’m very pleased with the pellet cooker. I was a little nervous from reading so many posts about no smoke flavor on pellet cookers. But I also read posts where people discussed their techniques and decided it was worth a try. I do not regret it!

Last edited:
Patiently waiting saying vespers with Bones Hooks waiting on a bowl

Really nice looking brisket! I'm looking forward to trying another one as an overnight cook on the smoke setting to see if I can replicate my last results -- which look a lot like yours.

Back