Lump charcoal

doubletee1

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
For years I used Ozark Hardwood lump charcoal made right close to where I live in Arkansas. All of the sudden it was gone so I contacted the buyer where I used to get it and he told me they ar now an exclusive supplier for s steakhouse chain in the NE . He said they would be carrying Cowboy Brand which I have used and do like ok . Question to my brethren is “Does anyone have any better suggestions “ just curious . After all that IS where a good product starts right ?
Appreciate any opinions.

I stopped by Academy sports today, they had some lump in a box. It was on sale for 4.99/box. It must have been about a 20# box, has anyone tried that? I looked it up on their internet page, but didn't see it there.

I like Rockwood lump. It's clean burning and so far it hasn't been plagued by non lump things or a lot of dust.

I stopped by Academy sports today, they had some lump in a box. It was on sale for 4.99/box. It must have been about a 20# box, has anyone tried that? I looked it up on their internet page, but didn't see it there.

I have not tried it.It may be "Timberlake" brand. :shock:

For years I used Ozark Hardwood lump charcoal made right close to where I live in Arkansas. All of the sudden it was gone so I contacted the buyer where I used to get it and he told me they ar now an exclusive supplier for s steakhouse chain in the NE . He said they would be carrying Cowboy Brand which I have used and do like ok . Question to my brethren is “Does anyone have any better suggestions “ just curious . After all that IS where a good product starts right ?
Appreciate any opinions.

Let me know if you find something good locally, I am just up the road!

I'm a huge fan of Rockwood, and it's all I use now. Nobody near me carries it, so I buy it from Rockwood three bags at a time for free shipping, and it lasts me quite a while.

If I want something I can get nearby, I also like Royal Oak.

They have ozark oak at harp’s again. Ive been buying it again for a few months.

I'm a huge fan of Rockwood, and it's all I use now. Nobody near me carries it, so I buy it from Rockwood three bags at a time for free shipping, and it lasts me quite a while.

If I want something I can get nearby, I also like Royal Oak.

You can also have shipped for free to your local Ace if you use their website.

Usually been using Royal Oak. It's OK, but some bags have some pretty small pieces. Kamado Joe lump is good. Pretty good price if you get it during a KJ Roadshow at Costco. Got a bag Timber to try out. Going to pick up some bags of the Western lump at Wally World, price is down to $7.88 for a 30# bag. Have tried Grove lump, that burned quite well.

Royal Oak has always been a favorite of mine, although I just purchased a box of Kamado Joe Big Block to give it a go....

Usually been using Royal Oak. It's OK, but some bags have some pretty small pieces. Kamado Joe lump is good. Pretty good price if you get it during a KJ Roadshow at Costco. Got a bag Timber to try out. Going to pick up some bags of the Western lump at Wally World, price is down to $7.88 for a 30# bag. Have tried Grove lump, that burned quite well.

I agree that Royal Oak does have a lot of small pieces but it tends to provide a more constant temperature for my long cooks compared to others I have tried.

Lowes had that back in late 2016 early 2017 at 50% off. I bought all of the boxes they had locally which was 11 boxes. I really liked it for the consistency. But, I don't think I would pay full price. Watch for Academy to put it on sale.

Robert

It was reduced to 4.99/box.

I mostly use Rockwood. If I can't get some of that for whatever reason, the Publix brand is pretty good too.

Back