Let em hang

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ribs that is. Family is away at Branson, so I figured I would make myself some ribs. I got 4 racks. 2 Tyson and 2 Smithfield extra tender ribs. They should call them extra gnarly not extra tender. It was a frozen 2 pack. 1 was huge and one was tiny. Who can guess which ones are the extra tender?
29264913fce23dd9779f92fb4924eaf9.jpg

I would say the two in the middle. Were they the full spare two packs and you trimmed them down?

I would say the two in the middle. Were they the full spare two packs and you trimmed them down?
You are partially correct. The extra tender ribs were a 2 pack of whole spares that 1 cut down. The left middle rib is one of the extra tender ribs

I got one of those two packs when I first saw them for like 1.78 lb...When I thawed them and opened up it was like they were Smithfields worst spares that they decided to add some of their ET injection to and then sell em to walmart for probably next to nothin....not at all like the st. louis trimmed ET's I get.

Hope they turn out better than mine!

I got one of those two packs when I first saw them for like 1.78 lb...When I thawed them and opened up it was like they were Smithfields worst spares that they decided to add some of their ET injection to and then sell em to walmart for probably next to nothin....not at all like the st. louis trimmed ET's I get.

Hope they turn out better than mine!
I can't find the single packs of the st Louis cut, only the 2 packs of the whole spares. $14 for the 2 pack. Probably the last pack I will buy

The extra tender ribs oozed out something black while cooking. I have heard that enhanced ribs will do that. Not impressed. They are wrapped and should be done in 30 minutes.

The ribs look good. I also like hanging ribs better than smoking on a rack. For some reason they just seem to be more flavorful. My last cook I did not wrap, Just did the Memphis dry rub and we all agree that they are the best. I have been buying my ribs from Kroger's when they are on sale and they have been very good. I do not buy enhanced ribs as I want to know what does in them.
Thanks for posting.

Ribs look good!

Around here all Tyson pork is brine injected, never have tried the Smithfield ET ones but thanks for the heads up.

You should start seeing all of the tyson pork labeled as non-enhanced/no solution added soon. I am sure it will take them a while but they moved to that as a standard just in the last few months....unfortunately I was not a fan of it.

I am sure Kroger has different kinds of ribs but around here they have the Moist and Tender ribs which are enhanced.

Back